1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04' ICE won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by badmadmax, May 14, 2022.

1. badmadmax

badmadmax New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Y'all

I've come into an 04 with 124k miles that had been left outside for a few years. The center console turns on and says " Problem" at the top. The locks, windows, lights work. The dash does not light up and I can not hear the ICE run.

So far I've replaced a blown fuse under the hood (the second down blue 15A on the right site). The 12V battery, after testing and draining half the battery the dash turned on (saw the Triangle of doom and check engine light). Then after having the 12V recharged at autozone the dash went away. Finally I've replaced one side of the wiring harness on the hybrid battery after finding corrosion and a stuck pin (the side that connects to the ecu w/ an orange plug).

I rented a code reader from autozone the codes I was able to pull were: C1241, C1242, C1259, C1310, and " Emission Related Engine DTCs : No powertrain DTCs or Freeze Frame Data is presently stored in the vehicle computer.

I'm unsure on how to move forward from here. I do plan on upgrading to the lithium battery pack when I have the funds but it may be another month or two at least. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to Priuschat! In no particular order:

That fuse you replaced is the "AM2" fuse. The most common reason for that to pop is the the electric coolant pump for the inverter system has failed and shorted. AM2 also supplies power that's needed to turn the car on. At this point does the dashboard and speedo turn on when you step on the brake and press the power button (you may have to press twice).

If not then check that fuse- it may have blown again. If so you can temporarily unplug the electric coolant pump. Look at the fuse box underhood. Just behind it and slightly to your left are some wires- including a single wire connector- white with a black trace. Unplug that and it will "open" the pump circuit. (Many here recommend getting a "genuine" Toyota part from a dealer or reputable online source. Aftermarket brands can have poor reliability and ebay-amazon is known to have problems with counterfeits.) For short periods you can operate things without this pump working.

I am fairly confident that the scanner from AZ isn't capable of talking to most of the 16+ ecu's on a Gen2 Prius. My suggestion is to get the Autel Maxi AP200 bluetooth device and app for your smartphone. For about $70 or less you can get access to ALL codes and data for ALL systems on the Gen2 . Only a "dealer level" scantool such as Toyota Techstream will have more overall functionality (bidirectional controls and tests, custom settings, etc), but the same codes and data as the Autel. No other app is even close.

Or if you are computer savvy you can get a copy of Techstream and a VCI adapter (special dongle from the OBD2 port to USB). Most get a mini VCI (and bootleg Techstream) from ebay or amazon for a beater windows laptop. Some get a better VCI (Tactrix openport 2.0 or VCX Nano - more $$ but more reliable) and get genuine short term access (rental) to Techstream from Toyota direct. (Also includes access to as much technical info as you can download in that time frame).

Once you have a good idea of what the car thinks us wrong (ie codes), then we can give better advice.

Side question- you replaced the orange battery harness that goes to the battery ecu. Did your old ecu have corrosion damage at the pins? Did you have to replace the ecu?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. badmadmax

badmadmax New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the welcome!

The dash and speedo now turn on.

I updated my ap200 and here is the report. report1.jpg
    report.jpg

there was damage on some of the pins.(corrosion on 3 and one was stuck in the harness). I only tried to clean the pins with a small nylon brush and a needle file. I was trying to avoid buying a new one out of a worry of ebay electronics and frugality :whistle:.

#3 badmadmax, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You haven't said whether you checked the inverter coolant pump is operational, but you may need to disconnect it until you do to avoid blowing that fuse again. The pump shorting internally is a cause for blowing the AM2 fuse. It is all explained in post #2 above.
    With a broken pin on the ECU, you will need to replace the ECU. These can be bought secondhand from a scrapper relatively inexpensively. In addition, you will need a new Wire Frame Harness, No. 2 (as it is called – Part Number: 8216547040). These are available from Toyota and should cost $65 to $85. Shop around the online parts stores to get the best price. Toyota Parts Center Online is a good place to start.

I would replace these two parts, clear all the codes then rescan to see what codes come back.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As mentioned you need to replace some parts- new wire frame and ecu (used ecu from ebay should be fine). You'll want to confirm that the battery current sensor (plastic donut thing that goes around on HV battery cable) is not fully plugged into the battery ecu (3 wire connector)- because that would explain the battery current sensor code.

Then there's the power supply problem to the ABS system. Gonna need a wiring diagram and some detective work for that.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. badmadmax

badmadmax New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fuse had not blown after the initial replacement so I didn't check it.

I've just purchased an ecu and will update once I'm able to install it. Otherwise I'm somewhat confused identifying the harness when looking at the Toyota Battery and Battery Cable Diagram. It seems like the one I've already replaced so I've included some images to be sure we're talking about the same one.
    harness diagram.PNG wireharness 2.jpg
    wire harness.jpg
    I'll be sure to check this once I'm installing the ECU

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that is the Wire Frame Harness No. 2. If you've already replaced it, then all good.

8. badmadmax

badmadmax New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've replaced the ecu and initiated a reset through the scanner which removed two of the abs codes(y) but gave me 2 more hybrid control codes.
    report5.png report6.png

I assume its the white doughnut you are referencing. it seems like the plug is fully inserted. should I fully or partially disconnect it?
    plug6.jpg plug1.jpg plug3.jpg
    I found a wiring diagram and am working on decoding how to check the abs before attempting this week.
    https://priuschat.com/attachments/prius-wiring-pdf.33780/

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can clearly see corrosion onthe main battery leads to the relay. Fix that.

Remove the orange safety plug and always get in the habit of checking hi voltage terminals that now should be dead. Voltmeter on DC should have no DC across those terminals. Don’t ever assume.

Remove all those leads ONE BY ONE lightly wire brush the connectors and relay pads clean it with carb cleaner spray and then lubricate the connector with grease and bolt back up.

Make sure this is done one lead at a time so you don’t get mixed up.

Then when done reinstall the orange safety plug and before starting the car carefully with your dc voltmeter measure across the battery leads that go to the relay. What ya got there? Should be at least 220 volts.