1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04 Prius:replace hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ryanross, Oct 15, 2022.

1. ryanross

ryanross New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 04 Prius 402,000 miles. The hybrid battery light came on and the triangle so I took the battery out and tested all the cells 2 of them were lower voltage then the rest. So I replaced the 2 lower voltage ones and put it back together and scanned all codes out. (Snap on scanner) After driving it 5 minutes the same lights came on saying replace the hybrid battery?? Any insight would help Ryan Green Bay Wisconsin

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

i've never heard of a battery light. it's always a good idea to scan for codes with a prius aware scanner like tech stream.
    when you replace modules, you have t get really lucky. ordinarily, you must balance the pack in order to get some reliability out of it.
    it also depends on how old the other modules are.

3. ryanross

ryanross New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry not the battery light but yes: the triangle, CE light and abs light come on together. Then the cooling fan turns on for the hybrid battery. When I reinstalled them I had the same voltages one next to each other. The 25 good ones I left in the same positions. ??? I’m going to research some more. I’d like to get to 500,000 and beyond

SFO likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What were the OBD2 codes (DTCs) that you found when using the above scanner?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

5. ryanross

ryanross New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I watched so more YouTube videos regarding changing cells. I made a quick voltage balancer and took all the batteries that were equal and they tested at 7.7. I put it all back together and I have 26 miles on it so far. Cross my fingers. Thanks for responses !

bisco likes this.
  6. ryanross

ryanross New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spoke to soon after 30 miles the lights came on
    Code reader says
    p0a80 replace hybrid battery pack
    P3014 CNF DTc Definition not found

UGH. I was excited for good travels and now I’m running out of ideas? Any thoughts ?

7. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    whats the history on the battery? is it original or have you been swapping cells for awhile?