1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04 Prius under 100k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by William Lowe, Feb 27, 2017.

1. William Lowe

William Lowe New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few days ago I made a post about my Prius having the symptoms listed below.

Master warning light
    Schedule Mx light
    Check engine light
    and a VCS Light

I took the car to a local mechanic who scanned it for free, one of the nicest mx I have ever met. Found out the code came back for a bad HV Battery replace cell.

I called Toyota to see how much it would cost. The car is no longer under warranty since it is past the 10 year mark, but still under 100k miles they wont cover. They said the cost would be no less than 1500 and that is buying used. After labor and all it would pretty much be around 13 to 1400 dollars.

I am at a loss..

Got this car used about 4 months ago and I owe around 6500 after interest from the payment. I dont have that kind of money to replace the whole HV battery but I do not know what to do.

I know the longer this car drives the worst it will get. Today just driving it to the mechanic it started to suck a lot of air into the vent and that was driving around 3 miles. This was the first time it was doing it.

For those who had a situation like this. What would my options be. Right now il be honest and close to a freak out lol. I dont have that kind of money, Im stuck in a auto loan and now im just trying to figure this out.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your best option would be to learn how to repair it yourself. where did you buy it, will they help you
    out?

if you take the time to learn how to do it, it's almost free. it is a long, slow process though, which is why a replacement battery costs so much.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You called Toyota and they were offering you a battery for around $1500? I'm not exactly clear what you were offered as those batteries cost $3000+ from a dealer.

I feel bad for you, in your situation with the car loan and all. If you were in California, I would help fix your car for you, no charge just to help you out.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.