1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'04 Water leak at rear bumper

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mookie60, Jan 12, 2023.

1. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

I've read lots of posts about leaks at the back of the gen 2 models, but can't find any that discuss the rear bumper. In the past I have had the cracks on the rear pillars, where they meet the rain channels; these were sealed and no longer leak.

When I introduce water in the rain channel, just above the passenger (right side) tail light, I get drips inside in 2 spots (probably related to a single source). see photo. I've had the taillight out, but saw no indication that is where it was getting in, so I cleaned and re-installed.

Is there something behind the bumper cover that tends to leak? I'll remove the bumper cover if needed, I'm just reluctant to do so for fear of breaking some expensive plastic bit. Any thoughts on what/where the source might be?

Thanks

PXL_20230102_211405466.jpg

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I started having leaks in that area after removing the tailights. I always just assumed the seals didn't seal very well after removing/installing the assemblies. Never really got around to digging into it.

3. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

When the interior side panel is removed, all the spots of the taillight which could introduce water are visible, and none of them appear to be leaking: the screws/nuts, the large seal, the fixed plastic anchors that receive the pins on the light assembly. It seems like, any leaks at these spots should be visible; but their not. The water just comes out of the "boxed" spot welded area, but I can't find anywhere where it goes in.

Also, I have the hatch open when adding water above the taillight, so it's not coming from the hatch.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last year I fixed the same leak(s), remove the tail light and look closely for hairline cracks at the seams on the outside of the vehicle.

5. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

Thanks so much.

I should have taken a photo when the taillight was out. When I remove the light assembly, these hairline cracks are behind the light assembly, but just towards the outside? and in the sheet metal? So that means it can be sealed in the same way as the cracks up above, by the rain gutters, with silicone sealant or similar?

Thanks again

6. mookie60

mookie60 Junior Member

Leak Found! It did take removing the bumper cover to find it. The driver side was also showing signs of the same problem, so I sealed both sides. PXL_20230116_191213998.jpg PXL_20230116_185124282.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20230116_185041436.NIGHT.jpg Thanks, see photos

SFO likes this.