1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04 windshield wiper fluid leak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by smithBYU85, Nov 1, 2014.

1. smithBYU85

smithBYU85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My 04 has a leak in the wiper fluid system, after running the wipers with fluid, the reservoir leaks and goes bone dry. The rear window never receives any fluid but the windshield receives its normal amount with no noticeable drop in pressure.

Here's the weird part, there are no visible signs of a leak. I poured 3 liters of water and watched it all drain, but there was no water underneath the car. My car is sitting on a slight decline in the garage with the nose slightly higher than the rear of the car.

I pulled the reservoir out and it is not cracked, the leak appears to be somewhere else and it seems to be collecting. I even moved the car and didn't see a puddle of water.

Any ideas what might be happening or where I can look to find anything? I haven't taken it to the dealer and would prefer not to....

Tyler

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is not good. you are filling your car with water. you need to find where the rear tube runs, it must be leaking somewhere. i would start by pulling everything up in the rear to expose the battery. hopefully it's not there, but you want to check. it could be filling the hatch door i suppose, but you should see signs of moisture eventually. hopefully, someone has a diagram of the rear tube routing. all the best!(y)

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is not much help in the service manuals for this, oddly. I can't find the route for the tube that goes from the rear fluid pump to the nozzle over the rear hatch. It might go up the passenger windshield pillar, then via the head liner, which would be the direct route. Or, it might go under the car and up at the back...never have seen a diagram. The latter might be a possibility if you are really getting water to pool, as that can happen also due to the hatch seal failing. Look under the spare tire to find out.

Let us know what you find, as this is the first time this problem has been described.

4. smithBYU85

smithBYU85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the suggestions, I found where the water is going. It is pooling at the feet of the rear passenger side of the car. I ran the rear wipers with it quiet enough that I could hear the water running inside the car. The sound seemed to come out of the vent for the hi-voltage battery so that makes me wonder if the water is running down that pillar. However, since the reservoir drains quickly I suspect that the break is below the reservoirs level so I'd guess that the line runs under the car on the inside somewhere.

I've got a lot of water to suck up out of the carpet. I don't know the inside well enough to know how to take the seat and carpet out so if anyone knows of a good tutorial I'd love to see it.

I'm contemplating clamping off the line to the rear window and not fixing the broken line (unless it's something I can get to). I'm not really thrilled with the idea of paying the dealer to fix this unless there's a good chance some electronics are in jeopardy from this water pool. Thoughts? This is first real problem this car has had in my 7 years of ownership, guess my good fortune had to end sometime.

Now off to run my carpet shampooer to get the water out.... This has ruined a pretty good day. :(
    Tyler

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you clamp off the line, you don't have to worry about anything except a dirty hatch window. i've not used my rear washer in 10 years.

6. smithBYU85

smithBYU85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was sucking out the water when I realized the space under the carpet was like a water bed so I popped the panels off and pulled up a piece of carpet and found 1.5 inches of water. Stupid me for trying to find the leak.

Stupidity aside, I found a spot where I think the leak originated from and it seems to be from a loose junction between two water lines (see the black part of the water line at the bottom right corner of the photo). There was water visible on the cables in the photo, starting on the black cable below the yellow plug. Whatever the thick black cable is was also wet (since it's thick and black, I'm guessing it's a bad one to be wet especially headed towards the batter).

So it may be a simple repair but it will take some time to dry out while I pray nothing is damaged. WP_20141103_003.jpg

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't believe they put a coupling there.

8. smithBYU85

smithBYU85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I can't either. I pushed the hose in tighter and got water on the hatch window. I take some comfort knowing I didn't cause this, but I feel stupid for using as much water as I did looking for a leak. I sucked up as much water as I can and have drained the floor board (Toyota did put in some drain plugs in just the right spots). I'll let it dry for a few days while I go buy a new coupling.

Well now we know that the fluid line runs down the passenger side before going up to the hatch.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what the heck would make it come apart?not pushed together all the way at the factory?

10. smithBYU85

smithBYU85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It came apart in August, so I guess 10 years was enough to cause the rubber to degrade so it wouldn't hold a seal anymore. There are no visible cracks in the coupling so it must have just worn out over time.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm, note to self, warn neighbor with my old '04.:cool:

12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This seems to be pretty common problem with 10 or more year old cars. Maybe ice on top of the nozzle or if fluid has freeze at some point will aggravate this. I have only seen visual problems caused by this newer any electrical. Electrical connectors that have been underwater I have cleaned with ethanol and/or propanol. Disconnect 12V before cleaning connections if you don’t know what they are.

If you’re worried that it may come apart or leak depending on connector you can use heat shrink tubing (best or sometimes necessary that it has glue) and/or zip ties.

#12 valde3, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  13. Brentblk

Brentblk New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    08 Prius Washer fluid line leaking under the passenger seat. About an 1 1/2" area was rubbing on something. Cutting this section out and splicing in new line with a larger diameter tube over it to protect it from what ever was rubbing in there. using heat shrink on the splices so they don't come loose and heat shrink in the back seat area where the tubing has a coupling to the Black hose going to the sprayer.

Attached Files: