1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 big red triangle, gave some codes then a few went away, module voltages seem jumpy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nathandavidhall, May 7, 2022.

1. nathandavidhall

nathandavidhall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi all, so my girlfriend's '05 Prius with 230k miles recently had the big red triangle pop up, as well as the red car with ! in the middle in upper left of MFD (sometimes says "Problem" in top of MFD). First confirmed that it wasn't a low oil issue, then plugged in the OBDII bt reader, powered on to "accessory," and Torque Lite first gave me a couple of codes: P0420 which has been there forever and I'm not worried about, and P0a93 "inverter water pump failure." Then I checked for codes again after powering the car fully on, and I also got P0ac0 (hybrid battery current sensor failure), P3012 (battery block 2 weak), and P3030 (high voltage line corroded/snapped). Then, with the car still fully on, I checked for codes again and those last three were gone and only the first two remained, which stayed the same as I rechecked multiple times with the car on and in accessory mode.

Next I pulled up Dr Prius and took this screenshot video with the car fully on (shows #7 module as staying low compared to rest), and this one in accessory mode showing #6 module low (not sure if mode makes a difference, I'm a noob). For what it's worth, the car seems to be driving fine and getting around 50mpg at the moment.

So, kind people with knowledge and willingness to help, should I only be concerned about the inverter water pump issue, or also plan on checking wiring harness on battery and possibly replace #6 and/or #7 battery modules?

(also please let me know if it's strongly preferred to make posts like this in the "maintenance/troubleshooting" forum)

#1 nathandavidhall, May 7, 2022
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The cooling pump certainly deserves attention.

A couple of the codes suggest there may be some widespread corrosion worth taking a look at inside the battery and its ECU. (Respect for high voltage with high current capacity requires investing some time in reviewing to do that safely,)

3. nathandavidhall

nathandavidhall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the input. For what it's worth, I currently have the hybrid battery removed from my '07 Prius (replaced 6 cells, getting ready to put it back in) and I was very careful about voltage during that whole procedure. Should be able to carefully do a similar breakdown on hers if need be, but would rather not go to that level of hassle unless necessary

4. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Do you feel the invertor pump running when the car is in Ready mode? Can you see turbulence in the hybrid battery resivour?
    If not. It needs a new one. Go OEM Toyota pump. $117 Amazon. That is a good place to start.