1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 Brake acuator pump change..... now what to do

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusstich, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Priusstich

Priusstich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    have a 2005 prius with all the known symptoms of brake actuator going bad. I went ahead and replaced the actuator with a known good one. I know i have to have it bled electronically by toyota tech stream. but are ther some other things i should be doing also such as inverter coolant bleeding? (can i use antifreeze in it?)

I went ahead and hooked everything back up. My car ran and drove fine/ just had no brake pressure with the the 3 lights on vsc brake and abs. Now my when i go to turn it on all the lights are on and the power button led is orange. car will not start. just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. Im currently working on getting tech stream with a mini vci.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You do need the Techstream to bleed the system after the brake actuator is replaced.

You may also have something else wrong but Techstream will help you with that as well.

When you get it hooked up to Techstream (or some other Toyota hybrid capable scanner) bleed the brakes and read the codes. If some codes remain (fault lights being on mean that there are codes) just post them here and somebody will help.

3. Priusstich

Priusstich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your reply! here are my fault codes. c1252 c1256 c1259 c1310

I assume that the low pressure would put my prius in safe mode. checked my voltage today and my 12v is at exactly 12v with multi-meter. Checked it in the computer screen inside the car and it says 11.9v This car always ran great with no lights other than the brake abs vsc.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do all of those codes come back if you try to clear them? Did you get the brakes bled?

5. Priusstich

Priusstich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just scanned with a mac tools scanner. I assume once i get it bled properly it will get out of safe mode.(orange power light)
    Im trying once more to get techstream up and running before i bring it in. toyota told me $110 to bleed brakes. and a $60 dollar diagnoses fee.... after that 110 an hr.

6. knettle3

knettle3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What was the outcome of your actuator swap? Were you able to get Techstream up and running for the bleed procedure? I have the codes C1256 and C1310 and the actuator has been acting up and running excessively for months. I have a replacement I purchased off EBay and a Moni VCI with Techstream on a 32-bit Toshiba laptop. Just trying to proceed with caution at this point.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These two codes were recently discussed here. There are likley more codes that you're not seeing in other ECUs.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the ones in that other discussion were C1259 and C1310. Those are both indications of other diagnostic codes being stored elsewhere.

C1256 and C1310 would be kind of an odd couple. C1310 still means other codes in the hybrid system (but kind of odd to see it without C1259), but C1256 is a whole different matter, indicating low accumulator pressure.

Or did @knettle3 really mean C1259 and C1310? That's a very common pairing.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct ChapmanF if it is not a typo and is C1256, then mea culpa.