1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 HV batt & cooling fan questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sam jordan, Jun 2, 2023.

1. sam jordan

sam jordan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I tried searching the archives but couldn't find the info I was looking for.

I picked up this 05 with 110k back in February. Averaged 40 mpg's. I changed inverter coolant pump and fluid as well as ICE water pump when I first got it along with all fluids and filters including cabin air. Everything was going great until I started using the AC.
    I noticed the HV battery would drain rapidly and the ICE engine would run much more often. About a week passed and I got the triangle of despair.

P0A80
    First thing I noticed was when I command the HV cooling fan to turn on with my scanner, it's turns on low for about 2 seconds. No matter what speed I command 1-6, it is low speed for about 2 seconds. If I pull the fan (yes it's clean) and put 12v, she blows like she's short on rent. Surely this isn't normal, or is it?

I purchased the Bentley and honestly, pretty disappointed with the lack of info.

Does anyone have a troubleshooting thread on this?

I intend to replace the battery pack but I want to make sure I don't end up with the same results.

Most modules range from 7.62 to 7.54. except for 2 that are much lower. 7.34 and 6.32

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk if it is your scanner or the fan board, but you can get a 2 day subscription to the service manual at techinfo.toyota.com

sam jordan likes this.
  3. BrokenPipe

BrokenPipe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't pay attention to the cooling fan except for giving it a good cleaning. Wash all the crap out of the blades.

Then rebuild your battery pack and slap it back into the car and should be good.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    6.32 Sounds like you found your problem!!

5. sam jordan

sam jordan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah definitely a low capacity module. I'm just hoping the cooling system is operating correctly.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sound of the cooling fan is just the car going into safe mode to protect the hybrid system... Just clear the error code and keep driving. As long as you don't overheat the pack and monitor the temps with an app like Dr. Prius you can get by for a while before you put in a different pack.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What scantool are you using? There might be a glitch with its bidirectional function.

Most typical faults with the cooling fan will set codes in the HV battery ecu. The fact that the fan runs at all shows that it CAN work.

As mentioned, you have a typical failed module (voltage that's 1.2 to 1.5V lower than the rest).

If you're concerned about the fan, clear the codes and drive around while monitoring temperatures. I usually don't hear the fan unless temps are mid 120's or higher. (speeds 1 & 2 are fairly inaudible to me)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. sam jordan

sam jordan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have the zurich zr8 and Innova scan tool. They are really similar. I have a tech 2 clone and a blue tooth scanner. The zurich zr8 is a really well rounded scanner and that's the one I'm using to command the test.

I tried holding the gas and brake to charge things back up but after resetting the code but it comes back immediately. Still doing my research on the next step. Rebuilt vs new vs upgrade to project lithium...