1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 lights not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Desiree Vigil, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Desiree Vigil

Desiree Vigil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just gifted a 2005 Prius ( I’m very thankful) but today the dash board lights (speed light) went out and when I tried turning off the car and pulling out the key it wouldn’t ?!

It was sorta like stuck ON , I pushed the break paddle and tried turning it off but nothing happened !
    Anyone else have this happen , what was causing it?

Attached Files:

2. Desiree Vigil

Desiree Vigil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also my car wouldn’t turn off also couldn’t pull key out

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    generally, you need a new speedo meter, but test the 12v first

Desiree Vigil likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Desiree Vigil

Yes, the famous combination meter failure. It's caused by some capacitors starting to fail in the combo meter circuit board. Typically, it's an intermittent problem. It happened in one of our 2005s 2x in 6 months and then never again. Some people experience complete failure, others, not so much. Hopefully you're one of the lucky ones.

When it's in failure mode, you should be able to make the car turn off by holding the power button depressed for about 10-15 seconds.

If you're able to DIY, it costs about $150 to get one from @Texas Hybrid Batteries. He's a member here and runs a hybrid shop in Texas.

If you decide to have the job done at a dealership, it's in the $700-800 range IIRC.

Desiree Vigil likes this.