1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 no speedometer wont go into gear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NotScott, Jun 16, 2016.

1. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello. Long time lurker first time poster. Hope I'm doing this right.
    I'm stumped. All the other dash lights work but No speedometer read out ( once in a while it will come on and the ice will start but within seconds it shuts down). It won't shut off unless my foot is off the brake. I replaced the combination meter, I removed the 12v and had it tested at pep boys. Checks out. I used a basic scan tool and it read no codes (before I pulled the 12:). I pulled the traction battery plug for a few minutes. It will only move to neutral. I wanted to blame the new combination meter but the company says there is some other problem. The brake switch seems to work, lights come on. The car is beat up and has 240000 on it. Is it time to move on?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a bad combination meter repair

3. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the idea. I thought so as well. Took the combination meter out and put one in that is known to be fully functional and all the symptoms remain unchanged. I'm at a loss now. Really don't want to have to tow it to a dealer.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you tried reading the codes on the car with a proper reader?

how long have you had this car? Just because the brake lights work, does not mean the brake switch is functioning properly. There will be a code generated for a bad brake switch

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    are you in southern california?

6. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks.
    I only have a cheapo code reader and it reads no codes. We've had the car for about a year. I see 2 switches on the brake pedal. I'll check them both.

7. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if you're close to Los Angeles area, I can help you read any codes that may associated with your car.

you can buy a minivci cable from amazon and it'll come with the techstream software to diagnose your car. The cost is around $25.

by any chance, are your headlights on and you have the dimmer setting all the way down?

9. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you again for the advice. I'm in woodland hills. Wife said she's ordering the mini vci. Should arrive Wed. The headlights are off. Tonight I noticed the traction battery gauge showed just one blue bar then it climbed to 6 blue bars over the next 60 seconds or so. The engine didn't start.. The car is haunted.

10. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Screwed around with the new mvci cable and software. Finally got it to work on an old xp laptop. Did a healthscan and one code came up. Gateway B1271. Says combination meter or wiring harness. Replaced the combination meter twice already.. So maybe a new dash top with the harness from a junkyard?

hansen6198 likes this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have those parts if you're in southern California

12. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

13. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much do you want for the harness parts?

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sent you a private message

15. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update. Aquired a new (old) dash top from an 08 (thanks Jonathan). Plugged it in and no change. Swapped the combination meters and tested both harnesses in the car. Original harness produces everything but a speedometer read out with either meter in place. 08 harness produces no dash lights at all with either meter. In all test forms the symptoms remain unchanged. Rescan with techstream and it still says Gateway b1271 fault defined as combination meter or wiring harness.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So based on this, the meter is definitely not the problem, you've tried 3. Sounds like the 08 harness doesn't work with an 05.

Maybe you can send a private message to member 3prongpaul and ask what his opinion is on your problem. He has a shop in Colorado (boulder hybrids (303) 325-7411) and he has seen more of these issues and may know how to solve your problem.

You can also call autobeyours.com and ask if they know what can be causing this problem. If the harness is the problem, they probably have an 04-05 harness they can sell you (they also sell parts).

17. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes it is odd because all the plugs are the same and the wire arrays are the same numbers and colors. Only the lead to the airbag lights are different. There are 6 wires instead of 2. I was wondering if maybe the airbag deployment had triggered some other failure within the new dash. I'm still tinkering with it between beers. Thanks for the number. I'll contact them tomorrow.

18. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update. After chasing mysterious dash problems for 2 weeks and having the car throw the code for combination meter or harness fault and NO OTHER CODES repeatedly I got the dash issue resolved by combining parts from 2 dash tops and harnesses until it worked and the code has not come back so far. The original meter and harness are in place so I can't say for certain what is different so I expect it to fail again soon. Now it will come on, ice starts, consumption shows energy flowing into the traction battery, speedometer is showing, mfd shows something about a park function failure and asks to be parked on a flat surface and the brake applied..maybe 20 seconds (I'll time it next test) and it shuts down. Says "problem" (yeah, I know). This time it's a low engine power code, along with a vsc abs code and one that says fuel run out... Fuel run out???? Don't tell me... If it's just out of gas I'm going to loose my mind...
    Gauge shows just under 25% ..Added 2 gallons.
    No change. Still threw the fuel run out code.
    Gotta call an expert. But at least the speedometer is on again.

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    put 5 gallons of gas in. it can't read accurately with less. The engine would need to be on for a little while to generate the codes again (sounds like the 12v battery might be low too). Weird things have been know to happen with a weak 12v. So read it with techstream after running for a while......

20. NotScott

NotScott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's an optima yellow top that tested healthy at pep boys a couple of weeks ago.. It's on a battery maintenance charger so it stays fully charged throughout the days of screwing around with the doors open. I left a message for 3prongpaul. Thanks again for the number. Will go get more gas. Omg..if that solves it...I might have to get rid of my tools