1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 Prius 112k Very Loud Engine Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lordofthereef, May 2, 2016.

1. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i did quite a bit of google searching on this topic and actually found a few threads here and elsewhere k the subject but nobody came back with a definitive answer on what the issue was, ever... So here I am posting my own with the promise that I'll come back and post one way or the other.

With that aside we have an 05 Prius win 112k on the clock that has been making a rather loud engine (maybe wheel, I'm not a car guy) for the past few months. It's much more pronounced from the front passenger seat and dampens maybe 50% when turning fairly sharply to the right (such as an on ramp).

We got new tires recently and the engine noise was present before that. Tread was low anyway and we assumed it would be the fix but it wasn't.

We finally took the car in to a hybrid mechanic that was very well reviewed everywhere we looked, who mentioned it sounded like an baring based in description. Again, not a car guy, but my feeling is it's not that. I actually heard that noise in my friends civic and, unless they can sound wildly different, it doesn't sound the same. If you're wondering, I know it was a baring in the civic because he got it replaced and all was fine.

Just looking to see if anyone came across this and what expectations were. As always, timing for a major repair are bad; the family is flying cross country for a wedding and I'm sweating it out expecting $1000+ in repair bills on this thing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We should find out tomorrow what the issue is, but I'd like to prepare myself here

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Does the noise vary with engine speed?

Does it exhibit the same behavior if you engage the maneuver in neutral?

Based on your description, I too think it's bearing-related as the side-loading during the maneuver can change the sound of a worn bearing - either better or worse.

lordofthereef likes this.
  3. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the response.

It's not really noticeable under 30mph. I'd say 30 is where the sound begins. By 45 it is much louder. At 65-70 it is only slightly louder than it was around 45. The sound is definitely loud enough that the radio needs to be on almost max to hear it with any semblance of clarity, which is obviously not desirable for a multitude of reasons.

Are you suggesting I shift to neutral while "cruising" (that is to say get it to 65 and shift to neutral)? If so I've not done that and the car is at the shop currently do not something I can try right now. I can say that the sound isn't there, or at least not loud enough for me to hear, akw hen idling and in neutral (or park).

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the problem is a bearing, you can bring it to any knowledgeable car mechanic and they should be able to identify the problem. You don't need a hybrid mechanic for this.

If the highly reviewed mechanic suggests it's a bearing.....then I would say it's a bearing. Which is actually a pretty common problem to have on Priuschat

lordofthereef likes this.
  5. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We were thinking about taking it somewhere closer but we figured this guy had a ton of reviews on various sites and if it's something else he will be able to fix it should it require special hybrid knowledge. Reviews said prices were reasonable too. From what I've read the part costs next to nothing and it's all a matter of labor. Hoping to squeak by around $300 with this one.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The list price on the hub and bearing is $188. Not really next to nothing.

7. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was reading something about the part being around $40. I'd also read a few
    People saying this was done for them for around $270, though I also read as high as $600. Perhaps I'm misreading?

8. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious where are you located?

I recently replaced both front hub assemblies with used parts for $200 each side, parts and labor included. And yes, it took care of the roaring sound.

9. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm near Boston. The shop we took it to was in Leominster. $200 sounds like a nice number. Here is to hoping. :)

10. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am back to report it was the right from wheel bearing. $400 parts and labor included. Was shooting for $300 but this is much better news than the worst I was expecting.

Thank you all again for your input.