1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 prius dash lights flash, won’t turn on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ainsley34, Aug 15, 2020.

1. ainsley34

ainsley34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, my ‘05 Prius was occasionally turning on with no dash lights but would drive fine without them. Now, it won’t turn on at all. All the dash lights flash when I hit the power button and then squares pop up in the dash for a moment. I had a brand new battery installed 2 months ago. They also reprogrammed the key fob to work (previously had to use manual key to unlock/lock). I’m wondering if this has to do with the fob or another issue. Any help is much appreciated! The shop I got the battery replaced is closed for the weekend so trying to troubleshoot myself.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you buy a brand new battery? Whenever there's a no start issue, the first place to check is the 12v battery.

3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure if my 2 cent comment will help.
    Seems the problem is/ was intermittent.
    Dash was working ever so often a few months ago, now completely failed.
    Dash lights still currently work at start up then goes dark/ blank once the vehicle is started.

My comment...juggle the dash light brightness adjustment switch.
    Sorry no greater lead than that, could be loosen connect behind the dash?
    FWIW I do not think this is FOB or 12v battery issue nor a fuse issue, but inspecting the dash light fuse could be worthwhile.
    Good luck hunting :)
    Let us know what you find.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like your combination meter (CM) is in the latter stages of complete failure. This can be repaired at the dealer for about $800 or you can contact Matt @Texas Hybrid Batteries for their solution which will cost you ~$150 for a repaired unit that has a lifetime warranty, odometer programmed to your milage and when you return your broken CM back to them they will give you a refund of ~$75 for it. The only catch you (or a good friend) will need to remove the old and install the new one, which will involve the removal of some of the dash. There are YouTube videos to follow.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which battery was replaced and how much did you pay?