1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 prius w/ red triangle need help please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wesley Geiger, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Wesley Geiger

Wesley Geiger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an 05 Prius that will not start, the triangle of death comes on but the engine does not turn over.
    I replaced the 12v with a new one and still the same. Before this issue I had codes P1121 which means that the engine coolant flow control valve failed so I replaced that, then code P1116 means a problem with the temperature sensor at the coolant heat recovery system canister so I replaced that. The codes went away so I then took it for a test drive everything was going fine until it started to not want to go pass 30mph then it would shut off. Its like it had no power to the pedal. I turned the car back on it did it again. Now the car will not start and these are my codes

P3030 high voltage sense wire broken
    C1259 regenerate malfunction skid control ECU
    C1310 problem with Hv battery, Hv ecu dt

Looking for guidance to what my next steps should be. This is my family's only car so I just want to make sure I do this right.
    As of right now I have the back of the vehicle taking apart and ready to work on the battery.
    I have also noticed that there is corrosion on the bus bars and the wiring harness on both sides don't look that good. I just don't understand how the battery issues started when they were not present before I fixed the first issues. Im just assuming for now that the inverter may have been under strain from over heating and my caused issues to the hybrid battery pack which I think killed any cell blocks that might have already been low since the pack is original and the car has 190,000 miles. I am no expert at hybrid vehicles and I do not claim to be but I have done a lot of research but I am getting stomped on this one. lol
    Thank you for anyone reading this it means a lot.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably need a new WIRE, FRAME, NO.3, but these are not available from Toyota as an individual part, because they claim "it is difficult to keep the function/quality of part assembled/disassembled", whatever that might mean. A lot of PriusChat people have success assembling and disassembling them but they are quite delicate. Maybe that is what Toyota is getting at.

You may have luck trying to find where it is broken and repair it. Or you may be able to get a used one in good condition from @TMR-JWAP.

It is also worth purchasing a new 82165C - WIRE, FRAME, NO.2 (part number 82165-47040), but many people just disassemble and clean their one and reassemble it with good results.

Other than that maintenance, I don't think you will find much else that needs doing.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Anyone rebuilding a Gen 2 HV battery should use a new wire frame #2, which is the one that has all the voltage sensing tabs in front of the busbars and the small orange plug that inserts into the ecu. It comes from Toyota completely assembled. You'll need to reuse the large orange power cables unless you order new ones of those also. Better inspect the socket on the ecu also, they tend to have a couple pins that get corrosion on them and it will cause problems.

The Toyota part number is 82165-47040

82165-47040 - Toyota Parts Deal

Or, if you're good with fixing wires, you may be comfortable trying to inspect and repair the one you have. Typically, it's the thin area where the small gauge wire is crimped to the sensing tab that gets cracked. After cracking, it may not totally separate, so you'll need to do a good inspection. Easier if you have a good app or techstream to get a snapshot of the block voltages. The bad one will be obvious. The old busbars can be cleaned very quickly with muriatic acid.

#3 TMR-JWAP, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    SFO, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.

So is the NO3 wire frame incorporated into the NO2 wire frame? The diagrams are not really that detailed unless you have seen the parts in person.