1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 prius with 06 radio CD player

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hc167, Nov 28, 2007.

1. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's exactly what I'm saying. It's not going to be easy to remedy the lack of file information coming from the 2006 stereo.

2. wildbottom

wildbottom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm trying to do the same thing.

Does your '06 radio receiver come with Sat or CD Changer Option?
    Did you try playing a DVD?
    Also did your unit come with the Wire harness for the AUX?
    I'm looking for one.

I figure that 2005 prius MFD System doesn't handle MP3 Text. It's digital but not compatible with MP3 Titles.
    Wonder if the Coastal Tech Ultimate Lockpick3 will work with it. Maybe the Lockpick1?

3. hc167

hc167 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I only replace the factory Radio/CD player to 06 model, which contain mp3 playback feature. that is all. How can I play DVD??? The hardware itself cannot support playing DVD at all.

I am not sure rather or not the MFD in 04-05 use digital signal or not. But my understanding is everything work well for all the old features from the old Radio/CD player. That including the RDS. I haven't try a CD will text on it. But I would assume that this will work fine with text display on MFD correctly. the only thing is somewhere (MFD or other component) does not support the new I/O interface (or communication interface, or protocol, whatever that is) that is available on the 06 model Radio/CD player. Therefore, I cannot control the file or folder on MFD and mp3 file name cannot display on MFD. basically, I put in a CDR with all mp3 file. but it still think that this is a CD without the track and time information. touch screen for radio operation and basic CD operation work fine.

Well, maybe the MFD use digital signal for something else, but I do not think the communication between the MFD and the Radio itself is having those problem like all of you describes, digital/analog. But of course, I am not 100% sure about that. :p

I am thinking of changing the MFD in the future but not sure this is going to work or not. of course, if the Radio on has connection to MFD (other than all the general connection such as power, speaker, antenna). Then I am sure it will work, but this will come to another problems. Will I have other thing working (such as the climate control, energy monitor). So these are the thing I need to know.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The communication system for all year Prius' is the same. CAN-BUS.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Crazy website, making things crazy for me.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is why I said you'll have to replace the brain and amp.

7. wildbottom

wildbottom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do all Prius 06 Play Mp3?

I just want to besure before I get the 06 Stereo/CD unit for my 05.

Anyways, I'm still wondering if your 06 stereo has the SAT or CD Changer controls.

Oh sorry about the earlier post. I figure that it should play DVD-R with Mp3. I guess toyota didn't even think of adding the feature. DVD unit and CD unit cost about the same nowadays.

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, only the JBL radios do, so the higher package.

But you do realize you're gonna have to go through alot of hoops for proper operation, just the original poster?

9. hc167

hc167 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    actually, II believe all prius stock CD play come with CD changer control for toyota add on cd changer. The JBL radio come with in dash CD changer (so it is already a changer). plus, JBL use external amp whereas the regular one has the build in amp in the unit. So no need to change the amp when I swap the unit. I am not sure about SAT control. But I do not think it does.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

All Toyota radios have external CD support, but they're swapping the actual radio. All 04+ Prius models support SAT as well.

Because they're adding the JBL radios for the MP3 playback, they'll need to add the JBL amp.

11. dinitha14

dinitha14 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    does the prius have a multiple cd loader.. i mean can i load mor than 1 cd to the player

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Some do. Some don't.

Went down this road w/ an eBay replacement. The '06 will plug in and function w/ the '04 JBL amp. Unfortunately the unit I received had a defective changer, so I can't validate CD player functionality.

Only the MFD video connections to NAV are NTSC analog. The audio communication is all AVC-LAN (not CAN-BUS). The MFD may not understand how to display track information, but the older data such as CD track name, disc number, etc. should all still function.