1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 Prius won’t start. Dash lights flashing.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Garritwithani, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Garritwithani

Garritwithani New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    Just to start I am reciving 12 volts from my battery, I checked with a multimeter. My car will not start with the key in the ignition chamber and the brake being depressed and the power button being pressed. I do however get every light on my dash board lighting up, minus the red triangle, and then the gas and gear shift diagrams alternate flashing. The car will not start and will not respond to anything once the on/off switch is pressed. I am thinking it may be a fuse or one of the computers, but do not even know where to start.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

1) you have a gen 2.

2) 12 volts is too low, charge replace the battery.

3)if that doesn't do it, have the trouble codes read and report them here.

d) all the best!(y)

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly 12 V or 12.x V?
    If exactly 12.0 V will not be a problem, but as bisco said it could do with being charged up.

Yes, have the car scanned for the trouble codes and report them here.

4. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do the dash lights dim when you try to start it?

Try this: disconnect the 12v battery when you charge it and bring it back up to full charge. Should be around 13v. Reconnect the battery and give it a try. If you have codes set, it may clear them long enough to get the car started. When this sort of thing happened to me, on a trip, it was the inverter coolant pump, and the inverter got too hot so the drive system saved itself. Car cooled down and started--let it sit over night and the red triangle of death disappeared.