1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 Prius Won't Start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lordofthereef, May 24, 2017.

1. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So this morning our trusty 05 with 152k on the clock wouldn't start. I quickly realized my son had flipped on some lights inside and they had likely been running for 2 days (didn't drive it yesterday).

So... went to try my first ever jump on a hybrid and was unsuccessful. Figuring the battery had been run completely dead due to the time the lights had been on I went ahead and left the "donor" car running for a good 15 minutes. I now hear the chime when you leave your keys in the "ignition", when I push power the light blinks orange 7-8 times and if I depress the break while pushing power the engine light pops up for a split second.

No other lights on the dash at any point.

Hopefully I have provided all useful info. Any help would be appreciated. I spent a good hour browsing here and elsewhere and did not find a solution.

Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try disconnecting the 12 volt and jumping the cables.

3. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the trouble I am having is that I can't get back to the battery to do that. The trunk switch isn't working.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you have to climb in back and find the manual release. check the manual.

lordofthereef likes this.
  5. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    took some doing and the cover was already gone on my latch, which made it confusing, but I got it open. Same symptoms as described above.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your headlights don't light up, it's probably dead. Good time to buy another battery

7. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had my neighbor swing by. Battery tests fine but was at 10% charge. We plugged it into a charger, and is now at 67% after about 45 minutes.

8. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After giving it a charge the headlights do light up, though the car still doesn't start yet. Will give it some more time on the charger.

9. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One other thing I found strange (though maybe it isn't) is that the car in the ignition chime goes off even when it is not in there. Strange or no...?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a low battery can cause many odd events. any idea how old it is?

hotelprisoner and lordofthereef like this.
  11. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Figured I would update here since I hate reading through threads about a problem I'm having only for a person not to do a final follow up.

The battery is/was fine. It was drained and I suspect there was a bad jump (however I followed the directions and it supplied juice to the battery so I can't really comment further).

Anyway the issue was a blown fusible link. You can see it in the photo I provided.
    IMG_5021.JPG
    I used the this page to remove it. It wasn't too terribly difficult. My dealer charged $97 for it, which was a bit rough, but it was next day delivery and the vehicle is a daily driver so it was worth not waiting a week for a part at half that price. From what I read that was definitely the upper end on price there. Should be around $75 new and as low as $40 used, maybe even less. I'd shop around if I had the time.

bisco likes this.
  12. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's my mothers car that she basically gave to us. She took it to Toyota religiously for service in sure overpaying all the way. We got it about three years ago. Unfortunately there isn't a date that I can find in the battery. It definitely looks like a Toyota battery based on pictures. So if it was ever replaced it was done so by Toyota. I couldn't find any records of that happening though.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!
    there is a date code on top if you're interested, might take some disassembly to find it.

also, you can plug the vin into the toyota owners website, and it will show you all dealer service.

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A blown fusible link makes me think it was a bad jump. It wouldn't be the first. Glad that's the only damage.

Having run down the battery that far, keep a close eye on it. Many times that's a death sentence for the 12v battery. Glad you got it back on the road.

lordofthereef and bisco like this.
  15. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    From the location in the photo, that looks like the 100A DC/DC link. If it is, that's a common result of a reversed polarity jump.

I wonder why Toyota makes that part so expensive, putting so many links in one case. It is compact, at least.

16. lordofthereef

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that's what it's called. It's not something I had ever seen before but forums like this one made learning a bit about it easier.

I'm surprised that polarity was reversed particularly with everything color coded these days, but I guess I don't have much of another explanation. Car hasn't really caused us a moment of headache aside from a bad wheel bearing a few years back.

As far as cost, I hear you. There was another dealer that was two hours away that would have charged $65 plus $10 shipping (they charge shipping either way, even if you pick up, how cool is that?!) but I didn't have the time to take the drive nornthentime to way 4-7 days for the part in the mail. The dealer I went to was just s couple of miles from home. I was just happy to get back to two working vehicles asap.