1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 stereo CD static

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by AlexGault, Apr 4, 2016.

1. AlexGault

AlexGault New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my 05 Prius on Saturday, and its now Monday. I went out to my car to see if I'd left a disc in my stereo and noticed when I turned the stereo on that there was static, even though I was using a CD. I ejected the CD and tested another one, but the static was still present. It has been cold, with over a foot of snow and sub-freezing temps all day, so I hope its that and not an issue with the whole unit. It isn't the speakers either, as they played FM just fine.
    I am looking to add auxiliary-in to my stereo, so if I do have to replace it, I'd like to add the JBL unit this year had, which I believe had aux-in capabilities. If I do have to replace my stereo head unit, and nobody points out an incompatibility between the JBL head unit and a base Prius speaker/MFD system, I'd like if someone could point me to a JBL unit for sale. Thanks!

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    unfortunately, the Jbl system (which sucks anyway) has a separate power amp under the rf seat which you would need to add, as well as a whole bunch of wiring. it really would be a far better idea to get an aftermarket head unit which is gonna have all the newest features that didn't exist when the jbl system was new. and if you replace your speakers too, your system will sound much better than the jbl ever could. I had a kenwood in my '04, and it sounded way better than the jbl in my '06.