1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'06 arrival: what have YOU been told?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by endoildependency, Oct 8, 2005.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Check on that. Often, if you buy a car out of the state you live in, you only hav eto pay the sales tax for the state you have it registered.

When we lived in El Paso, TX, it was only a 5 minute drive to New Mexico, so it would have been easy to just drive over and buy a car there, as the tax was much lower. However, if you registerd the car in Texas, you had to pay Texas tax, not New Mexico.

You may in fact be able to get the best of both worlds...

2. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

I just went through the Costco website and searched for dealers in Ct & Hudson Valley NY area. The response I got back was that "they do not have discount pricing on this vehicle. This can be due to limited supply or other reasons" :unsure:

I guess it depends on where you area in the USA

Well, there goes a Costco membership!

3. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

its my online poker nick which joins the town I'm in with my fiancee and my first Toyota together, an MR2.

DeadPhish is obviously a musical reference :D

peace.

4. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh, well -- no cat treats tonight, I guess...

Are other people able to search the Costco website for participating dealers? All I can find is a form to fill out to have dealers contact you.

5. endoildependency

endoildependency New Member

Twice flown out of state to buy cars, silly (but you knew that...)

You mean in the STATE of N.M., no "Costco dealers"? Bummer. That may mean none also in WY, MT, N DAK, ID, whatever.

6. cgraham

cgraham Member

"You mean in the STATE of N.M., no "Costco dealers"? Bummer. That may mean none also in [THE STATES OF{my edit}] WY, MT, N DAK, ID, whatever." (Endoilpependency)

Yes, in the STATE of New Mexico; that's what NM stands for and NMexicans implies!!
    By the way, NM IS part of the U.S. Did you know that: many don't? (IS is not a state; I can't tell you what the meaning of IS is.) :D Gotta have some fun here. :)

Cosco's approx. wording: " we were unable to find any sufficiently aggressive dealerships in your area" [to make a deal with]. :angry:

DocVijay, thank you: you have an excellent point I must check out when the Arizona Rep calls. (If he calls - since I'm not a Costco member yet).

Tunabreath (ew!): I used the URL posted yesterday, and had to specify 2005 prius to get any data (guess '06 isn't in the system yet). When I got to the page that said there was no dealer in my area, there was a small blue link to dealers elsewhere, which is how I found the dealership in Tuscon (the only one listed). The system told me that dealership would contact me within 24 hr, and gave me the name of the contact person, dealership, address and telephone #, plus a reference #, all without me doing anything more. I don't know what happens if there IS a dealership in your area: didn't it list them, besides saying they would contact you?

So yes, I was easily able to get very specific information - and if the rep doesn't call me, I'll call him. tomorrow. I suspect the dealer rep checks with Costco to see if you are legit: I'm surprised the Costco membership # is not requred in the query.

I went through the process a couple of times before I did it right - maybe you should try it again.

Thanks all. C.

7. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    tinabreath---

The way it worked for me was that the Costco site asked me to input my zip code. Then it sent me an e-mail with the name and phone # of the guy to call at the dealership. Sorta like cgraham.

The dealership guy made me come in on an appointment basis, which wasn't necessary. He didn't ask to see my Costco card. We spent all of 5 minutes together. He had an aloof attitude. But, again, I'm surprised they applied ANY discount to the Prius.

I just came home from Costco, where I picked up the latest "Automotive showcase" pamphlet. They have writeups (they call 'em "reviews", but they're puff pieces) of 16 vehicles. Six of them are Japanese-nameplate cars/SUVs, the Tacoma pickup being the only Toyota vehicle (but including the very much in-demand Honda Odyssey).

These are not the ONLY vehicles being discounted at a given time---just the "featured" ones. They're really pushing the Chrysler Town & Country, which is on the cover.

Also noticed you can get 4.74% financing (new car dealer only) via another deal between Costco and Capital One.