1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 AUX input schematic?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by talonts, Jun 7, 2006.

1. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I'm looking at the EWD for 06s, and I need a sanity check on whether I have things right for the AUX input in the console.

I'm going to be installing an OmniFi hard-drive based MP3 player, so all I really need to do is make an adapter cable from the RCAs on the OmniFi that taps into the harness in the console (or under the dash, if it runs directly from the console to the center dash).

The "S30 Stereo Jack Adapter" on page 328 has the following:

[​IMG]

ALO/ALI - AUX Left Out/In
    ARO/ARI - AUX Right Out/In
    ASGN - AUX Signal Sheild??
    AUXO/AUXI - AUX Outp/In??

By the "*2:Shielded" comment elsewhere on that page, I'm assuming that I need to tie the shield for the RCAs to ASGN.

Therefore the RCA cable would connect to ALI, ARI, and SGN. But what, if anything, would I need to tie to AUXO/AUXI so that when I enabled my OmniFi and pressed AUX on the radio, I'd actually hear something? Does AUXO/AUXI tie to any of the other wires when a 1/8" jack is run into the console plug, or tie to ground somewhere that isn't shown on the schematic? (I wish I had the time right now to pull the console to see, but I don't)

I'd hate to have to permanently have a jack in that plug in the console to enable the AUX from my RCAs...

And WHY did they use a RED wire for Left Out, and GREEN for Right Out, exactly opposite of "standard"?

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So are you trying to go from stereo RCA cable to the AUX in the console? If all your needing is to go from stereo RCA to stereo 1/8 plug just go to rat shack and get an adapter. Am I missing something or am I not reading your post correctly?

3. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 7 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]267537[/snapback]</div>
    I don't want to use the plug in the console, I want to permanently tap into that wiring under the console. The OmniFi is a permanent mount MP3 player.

I certainly don't want a cable sticking out of my console all the time ;-)

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I see what your wanting to do now. I would take apart the little AUX box thats in the console and trace where those wires go to on the 1/8 hole. It shouldn't be that hard with a multimeter. If you do trace the wires please let us know your results. Good luck getting your MP3 player to work. :)

On a side note when I was in there a while back I noticed that the little AUX box was about the same size as the EV button hole and also has the same wire connector as the 06 EV button. Just a little hint for someone wanting to try an in dash 1/8 stereo plug mod. ;)

5. unruhly

unruhly New Member

This is off the top of my head so you need to verify it before hand as to whether the signal is normally grounded or normally floating. I don't have the schematics here with me.

The AuxI signal, when not grounded, tells the stereo that you have something "plugged in" so it will be able to select AUX mode. Otherwise it's disabled. It won't hurt anything to permanantly remove the ground but you'll have to cycle through CD/AUX if you're not plugged in. You could splice your wires into the L R signals and shield, then just put a dummy plug in the console to activate the AUX signal. That's what I would do.

Hope that helps.

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That makes a lot of since. I did not know you had to have something "plugged in" to make AUX work. I have always had my MP3 player cord plugged in there so I never new it got disabled. I just always thought you cycled through AUX because it was an option. :rolleyes: I learn something new every day. :D

7. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Jun 8 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]268247[/snapback]</div>
    That's funny, I was going to say just the opposite! :lol: I *assumed* that the AUX0/AUX1 line got grounded whenever you inserted a plug into the jack.
    Well, one thing for sure, its one way or the other, and shouldn't take much to test it with an ohmmeter while you insert a plug into the AUX jack. But, yes, that is the purpose of that line. If you don't have anything in the jack, the radio will not show AUX as a selection as you go through them. ;)