1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'06, HV & other problems: Sell, salvage, or part out?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by skreidle, Feb 26, 2021.

1. skreidle

skreidle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2006 Prius with over 222K miles, that has hasn't been driven for two or three years -- I don't even remember why at this point -- and it appeared to be having charging issues before it went downhill. I tried to start and run it often enough to keep the HV charged, and charged the 12V directly, but the eventual result was "dead batteries, no idea if they could be reconditioned or would need replacement."

Also, the front-right quarter-panel caught a trailer hitch back when it was still drivable.
    Also, a falling branch shattered the windshield.
    Also, the tires are all flat (or at least non-roadworthy.)

Repair isn't in the picture at this point -- we just want the driveway space back, and as much cash out as possible with minimal effort.

Do I:
    1. Try to sell to a private buyer (who would need to tow it),
    2. Try to sell to CarMax (if they'd even consider it),
    3. Part it out and salvage the rest, or
    4. Salvage it directly for ~$250, less ~$55 to rent a tow dolly?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... This would be perfect for someone like me! Makes me wish I lived way closer to Bumpass, Virginia but I'm several thousand miles away. But I'll send some messages to people I know nearby.

Hope we can help you quickly get rid of it!

skreidle likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The catalytic converters alone are selling for $1300+ on ebay. That's cutting them out, putting them in a $15 flat rate USPS box and shipping them to a recycler. You can even go online and get a quote for them from large recyclers of cats. Here's a link. There are two catalytic converters in your car. If OEM, one should be stamped GD3 and the other EA6. I got a quote from the company below near the end of January and it was GD3=$688 and EA6=$425. Pretty sure they've gone up a little since then.

RRCats.com: National Scrap Catalytic Converter Buyers - Catalytic Control