1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius dealership problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dklayton0213, Jan 25, 2019.

1. dklayton0213

dklayton0213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My ABS,VSC,(!) and red brake lights all came on. Took to the dealership and was told my hybrid ECU was bad and needed to be replaced as well at my 12v battery. $1500 later and I take the car home and the next morning I have the same problem and the red triangle and check engine. I take it back and after keeping it for a week they say the only issue they can find is it has a weak cell in the hybrid battery but can't recommend replacing the battery because of the high cost and it's not bad yet it just has a weak cell. If that's the case I'll just replace the weak cell myself, but I guess I need to get a scan tool to make sure that's what the problem is first. I'm about to pick it up from the dealership. Do you guys think they'll give me the codes it's throwing?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a stealership, not a dealership.

If the problem came back the very next day, after you spent $1500. I would raise hell with all the management, starting with the service manager. What the hell did you pay $1500 for if it didn't fix the problem? It can't return in 1 day, it was obviously diagnosed wrong and they have to own up to it.

Skibob, edthefox5 and SFO like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and call toyota customer service, that is ridiculous

4. dklayton0213

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After I talked to the service manager he claimed the hybrid ECU was indeed bad and they couldn't see any other problems until after replacing it.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you paid for the code(s), you should be given the code(s) :cautious:

Check the receipt where they ask for $1500, maybe it lists the DTC code there.

Now would be a good time to get a hybrid compatible code reader.

If the vehicle moves around safely, take it to an auto parts chain and they will scan it for free. It may be compatible, if not try the next one.

edthefox5, Raytheeagle and Skibob like this.
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did they give you the old part back?

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In what way was it supposedly bad? I would want to see a very clear explanation as well as be given my old part back.

SFO likes this.
  8. spankymcbeaverson

spankymcbeaverson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I dont trust some dealers, especially all of them.

#8 spankymcbeaverson, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    edthefox5 and VFerdman like this.
  9. spankymcbeaverson

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    AUTOZONE SCANNNNNNNERRRRRRRR

10. Kenrico

Kenrico Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something similar happened to me on my original 2005 salsa red Prius .

First time the Red triangle on and paid for 'diagnosis' at toyota dealer ..dealer recommended 12v battery water pump hv batt service ect ..$1200 . There was a thermal paper with codes printed out stapled to the estimate. Paid the diagnosis fee and bought the water pump and battery and changed myself .

A week later the triangle came on again and when I went to the dealer (don't remember if I was courtesied a recheck) they said it was the HV battery and generated the big $5k-ish estimate .

My theory is that the dealer knows exactly what is happening and tries slipping a $1k-ish 'service' upfront ..knowing that if you had the HV battery looming you would not consider the recommended 'service' on the table.

Same thing on MFD on my 2007 silver Prius ..was in for 12v battery warranty (84 month battery) and mentioned that the MFD had not worked for one day and then came back on . He said yeah , too bad you just missed the 9 year warranty extension of that repair ..but we can fix it for $1200 . I went 'wow' and stated that I did not know there was a new part replacement toyota had available . They said it isn't ..we sublet it out . I know the market rate for the repair of a MFD is approx $100 to $150 ..so he was just adding a grand to make his verbal estimate.

I still try to do OEM parts from the dealer , brakes, oil ect ..but dealer is my last stop in anything service related .

Kenny

11. spankymcbeaverson

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    exactly why I dont go to the dealer ever. theyre such liars!, bad battery cells triggers all sorts of funky codes they should know that! I had a malfunctioning hybrid system, invertor, and regerative braking system, codes when my battery pack went bad in my 2005 at first, then a week later the bad module code came up
    DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND RUN THE BATTERY INTO THE GROUND TO FIND OUT IF THE MODULES ARE BAD, WAIT FOR THE MODULE CODES TO COME UP. YOU CAN RESET THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND YOUR CAR MAY BE FINE FOR A FEW DAYS UNTIL THE MODULE CODES COME UP!!!! I LIMPED MY CAR TO THE MECHANIC ON ONE BAR AND 55 MPH ON 95 NORTH. THESE CARS WILL APPEAR FINE FOR A WEEK AFTER YOU RESET THE INITIAL BAD MODULE CODES, WHICH MAY APPEAR AS MYSTERY CHARGING SYSTEM CODES
    .. imagine if I brought it to the dealer, theyde replace the entire regenenrative braking system, the ecu, and brake booster, then the invertor, cause I had codes from all that crap coming up! id be in the hole 7 grand and still have to fork over 4000 for a hybrid battery from them..... priuses only take a couple of screws to take anything apart! do yourself a favor and work on them yourself, I had a VR6 GTI mk4 vw and a prius is a joke in comparison to the real problems these VW cars have, the dealers will still bankrupt you though, Toyota and VW.

I needed a new 12v battery and a new hybrid battery and got the spark plus changed too, cost me $1000 total, what is the big deal with diagnosing a bad module in a hybrid battery properly?

Do not replace INDIVIDUAL modules, replace the whole thing with balanced cells and a different battery pack from a rebuilder, it took the guy 30 minutes to put in the new battery pack. I couldv done it myself, next time, I'm doing it myself. he was like Lithuanian Hybrid Cars Inc in Stoughton MA, Hes a cool guy call him.

BTWWW!!! you can get the codes from a cheap autozone code reader boys and girls!

NEVER REPLACE AN ECU, BATTERY, BRAKE BOOSTER, OR ANYTHING ELSE ON THIS CAR, UNTIL YOU CLEAR THE CODES AND REPEAT THEM SEVERAL TIMES. ALSO GET YOUR 12V TESTED AND REPLACE THE SPARK PLUGS, THESE ARE NOT MAGIC SPARK PLUGS THEY NEED TO BE CHANGED ONCE IN A WHILE FOR THE CAR TO NOT PULL TOO MUCH CURRENT TO FIRE THE PISTON, HENCE DRAIN THE BATTERY..

IF YOU WANT MY EMAIL SO YOU CAN DONATE TO MY PAYPAL ILL SEND IT TO YOU, CAUSE I JUST SAVED YOU THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!

12. spankymcbeaverson

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    did I mention autozone scanners are 60$ well spent they at least point you in the right direction on the side of the road, I got all my codes I need P0A80 and all that from it. having your own scanner allows you to clear codes to see what else pops up that didnt pop up the first time, guy.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's with all the shouting? We're not deaf :whistle:
    I wish you well with your rebuilt pack, but don't expect it will last more than 3 years, if it even lasts that long.

If you need to do a quick get-me-out-of-a-hole fix, then individual replacement can work. But do it yourself, don't pay for some stranger to mess with your battery.

I agree though that changing all modules is a better option. However, for a reliable long term solution, you should replace the modules with new ones. Don't even consider exchanging your core, that has a known history, with one filled with who knows what from a "rebuilder".

#13 dolj, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  14. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    spankymcbeaver……. Are you for real when you offer up your paypal so the user can make a "donation" to you?

Absolutely incredible - this is quite possibly a first for Prius Chat.

15. spankymcbeaverson

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    im just kidding, cumon, you dont like jokes?

#15 spankymcbeaverson, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  16. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No, no, no. I didn’t mean for it to sound that way at all. Apologies

Hard to get things to come out the way it’s intended on a forum at times. I should have added a laughing emoji

SFO likes this.
  17. dklayton0213

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After changing out the bad cell myself (planning on selling this summer so didn't want to spend more than the $25 to get it by). It took care of my red triangle and the check engine light but all the brake system related lights are still on. From what I've read these have to be cleared out and will not go away even if the problem is fixed. I'm going to call toyota to see if they'll clear them for free since I've already paid them 1500 and left my car up there a week and they claimed the only problem was a weak cell. Also the receipt where I paid for the new hybrid ECU says "malfunction code= ". They couldn't even be bothered to list the code? give me a break

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can reset the lights by disconnecting the 12v battery negative for a minute. If the lights remain/return, then you have more issues that are not related to the $1500 you spent and the battery module you replaced.

19. dklayton0213

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure? I read you had to jumper pin 4 and 13 on the obd to clear the lights.

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct DK, pulling the power resets most ECUs, but not ABS codes. You have to do the pin jumping or use a scanner to clear the ABS codes. You don't have to go to Toyota to clear the codes either, just go to the likes of PepBoyz or Advanced Auto places and ask them to clear your codes. Not sure if they will do it for free, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

SFO and JC91006 like this.