1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius horn not working in warm weather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jm98, Jun 11, 2017.

1. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My Prius exhibits a common issue of horn not functioning in warm weather. It has worked in winter months. I understand there is a spring I need to check. Can someone share a picture or diagram where to look for loose contacts including spring?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Spring? Maybe a relay, or check the wiring harness terminals that connects to the horn(s) for corrosion.

If the Gen 2 has two horns like the Gen 3, and both don't work, it's probably a relay.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Probably talking about the clockspring, also called the spiral cable.

Look in "The File Library" section of this forum for wiring diagrams.

If other steering wheel buttons don't work, it's the clockspring. Otherwise it's probably a relay or fuse.

4. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Steering wheel controls work fine and horn seems to work in winter. Horn has not worked in last three summer months so some contact coming loose in hot summer weather.

I will check relay and fuse.

5. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried rotating the wheel and trying the horn at every position? My horn was only working when the steering wheel was rotated 90 degrees. Replacing the clock spring solved the problem. If the horn works at some positions but not others it's almost certainly the clock spring. All of the other steering wheel controls may also be affected, so I would try them as well (climate, audio, cruise control).