1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius Hybrid Battery Module Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by abmooney, Jul 16, 2020.

1. abmooney

abmooney New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

So I recently replace 2 battery modules in my 2006 Prius. The car was having issues running smoothly so sure enough I figured a couple modules were bad. Once I replaced the modules and reinstalled the battery I got it to run and drive like new. I took it out for a spin around the neighborhood and it drove smoothly like it used to. But, once I brought it home and put it in park, it stalled and all the lights on the dash and the red triangle came up.

I tried restarting the system by disconnecting the negative on the 12v battery for 5+ minutes numerous times and I can't get the car to go back into ready mode when trying to fire it up. I also check the HV orange plug connection and made sure that was in properly and locked into place but I'm getting no luck getting the car into ready mode.

The ready light will blink a couple times as if it wants to turn over and run but it won't get there. The car did sit for about a month so maybe the 12v is bad. But I would figure that I would not have been able to get it to drive the first time if it were bad.

Car is full of gas, and cleaned the maf sensor.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

When measuring the 12v with a voltmeter at the jump points under the hood and again at the battery in the back, what is the voltage?

Do you have any OBD2 codes (DTCs) that you can share with us here?

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Odds are high there is an assembly problem with the battery. Accurate code reading would nail it down though.

Prodigyplace and fotomoto like this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to the world of module replacement... All the modules have to match up... It's likely the replacement modules you bought were re-conditioned / deep cycled to restore capacity and the other modules in your pack were not, so the car thinks things don't match up well enough and lights up the dash. Get Dr. Prius app and and an OBD2 reader via this Buyer's guide: priusapp.com/obd.html and then post some screen shots of error codes and subcodes, as well as primary Dr. Prius screen so we can see your numbers.

5. abmooney

abmooney New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I finally bought a code reader, and got no codes found as seen below. Also ran an I/M test but would any of these prohibit the car to get into ready mode.

Along the way I tested the battery with a set of wiggies to make sure I was getting 12v out of the back. I also tried jumping the 12v from under the hood and no luck.

Attached Files:

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the reason you can't find any codes is you bought a code reader designed for a regular old car that doesn't work for hybrid cars that have a ECU for the battery pack... I clearly stated above to use Dr. Prius app and use the buyer's guide to buy a functional OBD2 bluetooth reader, but you ignored me. So now you have to return your code reader and get your money back. You can lead a horse to water, but...

#6 PriusCamper, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Disconnecting the 12v, or having the voltage go excessively low will cause the codes (DTCs) to clear. Most likely that OBD2 device isn't fully compatible with a toyota hybrid.

Many here prefer to use a 'Mini-VCI' cable and a copy of techstream (toyota dealer tech software), others get by with just a OBD2 bluetooth adapter and an app like Torque or Dr Prius.

If you choose to go with the OBD2 blue tooth adapter over the mini-vci cable (the better option), use this link (as kindly mentioned by @PriusCamper above) to pick a quality product that will work with the Dr Prius app: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

You might also try to borrow an adapter from one of the auto parts stores, though it may not be fully compatible either, and each store within a chain may have a different scanner, so try them all.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SFO likes this.
  9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, Block #11 has low voltage... That means either module #21 or #22 has a failed cell and that module needs to be replaced with one that matches well with the pack.

Of course you just went down a pretty intense rabbit hole and not sure how far you want to go?

There's some good reasons Toyota dealerships and most auto shops don't get into this...

As for myself, I thinks its fun! :)

SFO and Isaac Zachary like this.
  10. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. That's the plan. Time to find this HV's module match. I just have to figure out how to get to "PriHarmony."

PriusCamper likes this.