1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius ~ Red Car with Exclamation Mark

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jcatblum, Jun 7, 2016.

1. jcatblum

jcatblum New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    06 with 144k miles

Issue began with ! light & not being able to accelerate past 35 mph with the pedal to the floor.
    1. Checked inverter coolant reservoir and the coolant was moving.
    2. Checked Air Filter for cleanliness and found a paper towel under the air filter from when car was detailed, assumed was issue. Lights went away and car ran fine for 20+ miles, then lights returned. Noticed rear fan was blowing hard.
    3. Towed car to local parts store and had codes checked & cleared codes.
    4. Started car codes returned immediately.
    5. Cleaned Mass Air Flow (MAF), thinking maybe a paper towel may have caused an issue
    Car sounded better, but issue still exist.
    6. Tested each cell on the HV battery, 27 cells read 7.9 but one read 6.6
    7. Replaced & verified all was balanced.

All was good, for 40-50 miles.
    ! Light returned, but no symptoms. Except can occasionally hear the rear fan, but not constant as before.

Had codes checked, said 9th cell on the battery was the issue.
    Checked every cell. All 28 cells are reading 8V.

12V battery is reading 12.53V.

Does anyone have an advice?

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You've checked lots of good things.
    I would want to see how the battery acts under load using diagnostic software.
    Also I would aggressively probe/check wiring to the battery blocks. If there is an intermittent break it would cause problems.
    Lastly, if you do not have monitoring software, then you could instead load test the battery blocks and measure the drop by hand. Can be a little dangerous,and can take a while, but doable.

3. jcatblum

jcatblum New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tonight I went through the steps
    on PriusDiy to check the 12V aux battery (sorry it won't let me post the link)

And all was good, except when Test 2 was performed I turned on everything I could (air, lights, etc) & the battery dropped to 10.5 for just a second.

Scratching my head cause I can't find a cell that reads low.

Debating on ordering a charger for the hybrid battery & charging the entire thing.

(The car is a single mom & she can't spring to replace the entire battery).

We own 2 Prius ourself so I am sure the charger would be used again.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing I can think of is plugged up HV batt cooling fan which is an issue with Gen2 that on rare occasion can cause the ! light. If you replaced a cell, it is not so easy to balance pack unless you did it correctly.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would suspect the replacement module you put in is a bad module. If you check the voltage of the module throughout the week, you should be seeing the voltage drop much faster than the rest of your original pack.

If you check the codes, it'll tell you which block is bad and you should be able to monitor the voltages in the car. When the voltage gets low to around 40%-50% SOC, you should be able to see the bad block drop in voltage.

#5 JC91006, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  6. jcatblum

jcatblum New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The new cell went in Sunday AM & still reads the same.

Swapped out the 12V battery & within an hour of testing & trouble shooting issue returned.

However, I realized a new symptom, the cruise control stops working when the error code generates & the fan kicks on.
    Originally I thought maybe her cruise control didn't work, but it started working after swapping the 12V. Now cruise control is back to not working.

I have an appointment to take it to Toyota for a full diagnostic tomorrow.

7. Zyiros

Zyiros Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was literally in your same situation two weeks ago. Had to have the AC compressor replaced by Toyota. $1.1k. :( Fixed the problem completely though!

8. jcatblum

jcatblum New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Diagnostic shows the 9th block is the issue. If I had it to do again would have replaced the entire block not just a single cell.

9. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

You are really messing up terms. You are using cell, module, and block interchangeably. That makes me wonder if you are replacing the right module. The battery has 28 modules that have six cells each. The modules are monitored in pairs called blocks. The block count starts on the end of the battery opposite the ECU. A P3019 code (block 9) means that the 17th or 18th module is weak. The count starts opposite the ECU. Which module did you replace?

How did you do this? It makes a difference.

Buy a Mini VCI cable. They cost far less than the trip to the dealer. Do a proper load and charge test. That is something a dealer will not include in their " full diagnostic".

Brad

10. jcatblum

jcatblum New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update for those considering using "refurbished" or other hybrid batteries. Spoke with original owner, they had the battery replaced earlier this year by company out of Texas that sends out "service techs". The issue persisted March the battery was replaced again by the company again. Shortly after the car was traded in & that is how my friend acquired the car. The issue started almost immediately when she acquired the car. The company name was not on the battery in the car, however there was sharpie marker where you could tell the battery was originally tested & such. It is a shame that 2 batteries from from the same company went bad in this car within a few months.

We went with a battery from Toyota. Originally they quoted a price of $3357 installed. I asked if they could do any better & referenced them to the price of a local company that offers OEM batteries. My Toyota dealership then offered the battery purchased & installed for $2517.84. Pretty nice they were able to come down & give me a better deal.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)

12. Zyiros

Zyiros Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Replaced AC Compressor. Fixed it all up! :) Just for reference for anybody with the same problem.