1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius stuck in diagnostic / inspection mode, does not exit!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SRIVAS06, Mar 1, 2017.

1. SRIVAS06

SRIVAS06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After a recent CHRS (inverter) pump and coolant sensor replacement, car was put in inspection mode (red car maintenance sign on LCD), after the need for the mode was over, no matter how many times we turned it off (ignition off) and on, it wont exit the inspection mode!

Since coolant was lost during repair there were air pockets which were later bled out using professional diagnostic/scan tool. Coolant was replaced for CHRS loop and not for the ICE engine.

My mechanic has tried his level best with resetting all code and everything but each time when you turn on the car it launches itself in the diagnostic/inspection/maintenance mode.

It also has an ABS speed sensor out, so ABS light is still on, but don't see why that should keep it locked in inspection mode? All lights are now gone except the ABS one.

It feels like its stuck there forever!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

2. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There three place coolent goes most likely the one under the black cover attached to the radiator and one just next to it 2 "
    And the one on top of engin

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. SRIVAS06

SRIVAS06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes but how does that help with exiting diagnostic mode? I think all coolant level are good right now in all the three inlets.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does your ice engine turn off in Ready mode? From your description, it would never shut off

5. SRIVAS06

SRIVAS06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It never enters the ready mode. When we try to restart (brake + start button) the "Maintenance/Inspection" (red car sign on LCD) keeps coming back.

I followed the instructions below to put the prius into maintenance mode ..
    • Turn the vehicle to accessory mode, Ready-off. On 2001-2003 Prii this is two clicks forward of the key, on 2004+ this is pressing the start button twice with your foot off the brake pedal. The display will not show Ready but will otherwise be lit, the car in park.
    • Depress the accelerator two times fully.
    • Put the vehicle in neutral.
    • Put the vehicle back into park.
    Its really weird everywhere it says once you turn off the car and restart it should be back to normal, but somehow does not work in our case.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The red car sign doesn't mean it's in maintenance mode, it means there's a problem with your car.

It just happens to show that sign in maintenance mode as well.

You need to get the codes read on the car

If you disconnect the 12v battery for a minute, it should reset the car and allow you to start. But whatever error it has will come right back

7. SRIVAS06

SRIVAS06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will check again, after the CHRS pump was replaced and codes were cleared the check engine sign was gone.

I wasn't aware that red car sign on LCD was a problem sign and not just for the maintenance alone, last i looked there were no codes.

8. SRIVAS06

SRIVAS06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ..and I still wonder why the car will not start ("Ready") even if there are error codes logged. No red triangles or anything.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A failed pump normally wouldn't have warning lights until the car overheats. Once it cools, the lights go off again. And it repeats.

Check for codes with a proper reader. There definitely are codes.

Disconnecting the 12v battery will clear all the codes but they should return once the warning lights come back

10. SRIVAS06

SRIVAS06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    But is there ever a reason for prius to not get into "Ready" mode even though are errors. This is what baffles me most.

I put it into maintenance mode to bleed the new pump, and ever since stuck with that mode, somehow during the process the maintenance mode sign caught other errors and stayed there as a problem sign?

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should probably start with checking the 12v battery first, if that's bad, nothing ever starts and gets ready.

If battery is good, then read codes

12. SRIVAS06

SRIVAS06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK will try out your suggestions, and report back. Thanks.

13. SRIVAS06

SRIVAS06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess it worked out after re-programming the ECM and clearing up all the existing codes. Mostly hit-n-trial?

14. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try turning car on and pulling these 4 fuse 1488611250375.jpg

The turn the car maybe the computer are out of sync like when the all the screen go blank then turn back on

Next try unplugging for ten minutes to hard reset the computer half one runs of big battery so you'll have to pull the orange plug safety on the traction battery both for 10 minutes

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. CrystaLex09

CrystaLex09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    how did you get this resolved?? I'm having the same problem!!