1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Prius with repeated HV battery problems, need help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lexforme, Jul 14, 2014.

1. lexforme

lexforme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello folks,

I've been using this site for quite some time as a great resource, but I have a problem I can't figure out. I've looked at other similar threads with no luck so far. The sick patient:

06 Prius with 105k.
    Curent codes: P3000, P3020, C1259, C1310, C1378
    Car will run and drive but is in limp mode
    HV battery fan is at full blast, but charge does not fluctuate

The history (as far as I know of the car):

Car was in minor collision on passenger front side. Owner drove car for another 5k until the triangle of death came on indicating bad block 12. Owner had pack sent to re-involt to be refurbished. Attempted to reinstall but lost interest and let the car sit for 10 months. Now is where I came into the picture.

Installed HV pack correctly and ran the car. Car went into limp mode and indicated block 14 failed. The battery charge went from full to empty rapidly. I assumed the pack could have been faulty and chalked it up to it sitting for so long. Had owner call dorman (who bought out re-involt) and had them replace the entire HV battery under warranty. I installed the 2nd HV battery 2 weeks ago.

Initially, all of the errors cleared and car drove fine (albeit only getting 35 mpg) for 70 miles. Then the triangle, VSC and ! lights returned and now is indicating block 10 failure, along with the Capacitor Comm error. This battery pack's charge does not fluctuate rapidly like the first pack. I've checked the 12v battery and verified it is charged (I pulled it out and charged it up; it's only 6 months old anyway).

Is this another failed battery pack? I didn't think lightning could strike 3 times but i'm not sure. I want to say it's something else but it has been different blocks that have failed each time. I have a mini-vci that i've been using to troubleshoot. Any and all help is appreciated!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a failed traction battery.

I personally think it is a waste of time to use a "remanufactured" battery based upon used G2 modules considering the average age of the modules is 8 years. If a new battery cannot be afforded, I think it would be better to buy a used G3 battery and move the modules to the G2 traction battery enclosure.

It's not clear to me whether you own this car now, or not.

3. lexforme

lexforme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, this is a friend's Prius that I'm working on. I figured it would probably be a bad HV battery, but it will be hard to convince the owner that this 3rd pack is defective especially since they paid $1800 and haven't had the use of their Prius in about a year. Are the quality of reman battery packs really that bad?

Also will this clear the C1378 code or is that a separate issue? Thanks for the response.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what does the remanufactured say? that's a pretty hefty price tag.

5. lexforme

lexforme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it was a pretty hefty price too. I haven't contacted dorman about this last HV pack yet but will soon. I'll try to push for a refund but just getting them to honor the warranty after buying out re-involt was a challenge.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You will not get a refund from them, you will get another battery until the warranty period ends. You can ask the owner to complain about the constant problems with the batteries in hopes of getting a discount....but definitely no refund coming.

7. lexforme

lexforme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it worth the hassle of trying another reman? Could something else be causing the packs to go bad? I'm half tempted to switch the packs with my 05 but don't want to subject it to a possibly bad pack. Plus that would be a lot of work :-(

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe you will have similar problems with all reman GenII batteries, unless they are from GenIII modules. As Patrick has stated above, the average age of GenII modules are 8 years old.

If your 05 pack is original and has not failed before, it would be a good substitute to put in. Reman battery packs usually are rebuilt from failed battery packs.......so their condition is already compromised compared to an original non reman battery pack.

The Dorman is still under warranty, what would you do with it? Surely you would need to get it replaced.

9. lexforme

lexforme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like we will continue the HV battery shuffle with dorman. If only the pack was lighter and easier to ship...Definitely won't be recommending a reman pack to anyone anytime soon.

XT1080 ?

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC C1378 is a separate issue and it points to a problem with the brake capacitor bank mounted next to the 12V battery. Either the bank, or the wiring harness, or the skid control ECU has a problem. See techinfo.toyota.com (subscription website) to obtain factory repair manual info including the troubleshooting tree for this.

11. lexforme

lexforme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all of the helpful info. I'll update and post as this unfolds further.

XT1080 ?

12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting situation.
    The first two times I chalk up to normal experiences. So I wouldn't count those as strikes.

1st battery. Failed at 105. O.k. I can understand that. Batteries fail. Some earlier than others depending on how they were treated.

2nd battery. Battery sat discharging for TEN MONTHS before it was installed. Totally understandable that it would be sickly and fail when it finally got installed. You don't mention whether the battery was properly re-charged with a high voltage dc charger or balanced it before it was installed. My guess is it wasn't.

3rd battery. This replacement failure is unexpected, I'm sure Dorman will honor the warranty. As part of this install you should have cleaned out the fan, etc, so if you have not done that, go back and do that while the pack is out and the replacement is on the way.

13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree with Patrick.
    If you are getting remanufactured they only replace the bad cells to get it up to specs again... The other cells may be close to follow.

One of my Gen 2s battery went bad and I located one at a junkyard from a wrecked car "guaranteed I think 90 days", cost me $400 and the dealer was nice and installed it for another $400...its ran perfect the last 45k miles!

Same with Transmissions, engines, anything like that I would rather have original factory oem from a wrecked car than remanufactured.... Too many shade tree mechanics without the knowledge and the sophisticated equipment the factory has....

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They were my thoughts exactly on reading the opening post Eric. It does however highlight the issue, that although the cells in most rebuilt packs will be functional, they could be well short of new specifications in many respects.

In the situation were the pack sat for 10 months it is quite likely that some of the cells experienced significantly higher leakage than would have new cells, resulting in a horridly out of balance pack that was destined to fail soon after installation.

I agree that the final failure is the only true anomaly here. This one also seems a little unusual in that the battery charge doesn't seem to be fluctuating rapidly like in most cases, and also the presence of other error codes that don't seem to be battery related. I think they should check that everything is good with the wiring back there, and that ecu swap was good, before definitely putting this one down to the battery itself.

#14 uart, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree, if the ecu is allowing the battery to deep discharge or overcharge could stress a weak battery.... There are a lot of cells and to keep them healthy and in balance they must be used... The weakest cell drags the other ones down, especially if it's a short.

If you find a wrecked one, they will have documented what car it came out of, nature of damage, and they need to have charged it periodically... I wouldn't get anything out of original working car over 4-5 months.. And should be guaranteed of course... Even then it's on you for labor charges.

16. lexforme

lexforme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to remove the battery this evening as well as make sure the fan is clean and clear. I'm also going to trace down the wiring to the brake controller to see if anything is out of place.

17. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The warranty with most rebuilt batteries requires that you clean the fan when installing the battery.

18. lexforme

lexforme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what it looks like inside the fan. Pretty clean.

[​IMG]

XT1080 ?

19. lexforme

lexforme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  20. lexforme

lexforme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could this be possible cell leakage? This was here before the reman battery was installed. It's just below the tube.

[​IMG]

XT1080 ?