1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'06 Tires / Handling better?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimBikes, Jan 11, 2006.

1. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I have just the back windows down, your right, it is deafening. Happens on mine too. When driving fast, and I want outside air, I prefer to just crack for windows. Rolling them all the way down at 70+ hurts the fuel mileage.

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's related to the windows same thing happens on my wife's 06 Toyota Highlander. Open the windows over 25 mph and you get a whump, whump, whump sound from air trying to enter and exit the vehicle at the same time, I suspect. Crack a front window and that should help.

Wildkow

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

My great words about the BT plate are concerning my 06, I don't think you will want to take it back if you use it for a good spin and test it.

You really see the differences when really challenging the road.... just going straight with gradual turns will not give much feedback differences.

Even a cheap car feels ok going straight!

4. busterbrown

busterbrown New Member

In follow-up to my posting about the noise with the wondows down - thanks for the feedback.

Although my boxers greatly prefer riding with fresh air coming through the vehicle (their heads are NOT out the window), I guess we will have to get used to it.

Thanks again.

5. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like cars that are the best at what they were designed to do, which is why I own a Prius.

But, in my opinion, the Prius is one of the worst handling cars I've ever driven! I can't wait to replace the shocks, springs, wheels and tires. The trick will be to do it without hurting the mileage.

My first change will be to upgrade to lower profile tires and larger wheels. Keeping the overall weight the same will be a challenge, but it can be done with lightweight racing wheels. I'll wait and watch the Japanese aftermarket to see what suspension upgrades become available.

That said, my perspective is a little slanted towards performance. I have been driving high performance cars all my life and also own an Acura NSX and a BWM 735i. I was part owner of http://www.chinmotorsports.com for 5 years, and I've driven over 10,000 miles on racetracks throughout the Southeast.

'06 White/Tan 2K miles

6. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

I thinkyou're wrong... I had to do 2 emergency breaks one on the highway at 70mph and one at around 50. I was pleasently suprised how nice it stoped and monovered. (i didnt just stop... i also changed direction to avoid the blown out tire on the road.)

I'm telling you man was i scared seeing a truck blow up a tire 100feet in front of you ...

7. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lowspeed, did anti-lock or stability control activate?

8. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Quite frankly i don't remember, my heart was beating so fast i didn't pay attention.

That car didn't have Stability control and it was a nice dry day.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before you spend all that serious money.. try the BT brace.....

If you still feel that way, then I've really been driving pieces of crap... because I feel mine handles better than any I've ever owned.... yes my others have a different feel.. my jeep grand cheerekee drives like a boat according to my son, but it stays level and .handles well around corners, I've been driving for about 30+ years, but the pruis beats them all.

You must be comparing to extremely expensive cars?

10. silverspud

silverspud New Member

Just wanted to chime in that I feel more comfortable with the car now that I simply adjusted the seatback up, and the seat a little closer. Duh.... Now I feel that I have more control over the car. :D The bumpy-ness is still there, but not so alarming. Being somewhat small of stature ( 5' 7'' ) may have something to do with it. Still thinking about the BT plate.

11. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like there might be a big hunk of hyperbole here. Worst car ever driven? Were you suckled on Lotuses? Never driven a pickup truck (or an early 80's Ford)?

The Prius does have some body roll and changing tires definitely makes an improvement (my BT brace is on order, so I can't comment on it), but the Prius is farrrrr from the worst handling car I've driven.

Suspension mods have compromises. With my back, I have no desire to be driving a rock-hard sled, no matter how well it handles. Neither do I want the pillowy ride of an Escalade. So far the Prius doesn't have to apologize. It strikes a reasonable compromise. It's not track equipped. But then again, neither am I. B)

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    YOu may be used to a softer suspension or tires that do not have so much air pressure and a car that even weighs more?

A light car on tires inflated to 42psi will feel the road... but thats a nice feel once you get used to it... I really like the feedback.

And if tires help that much, now I'm wondering what tires may do?....

Some think the 06 just drives better than the 05 with the integrity tires..
    The discussion as to whether the tires are different or the 06 prius suspension?

Humm.. I'm gonna drive mine till thier gone, then yes I'll upgrade... I'm very happy with my stock tires at this point.

13. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

OK i finally drove at 70+ (finished the break in period)

now i definitely see an improvement from 04

Also seems less side sweep... how is that possible ?

14. dtstein

dtstein New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Jan 15 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]190989[/snapback]</div>

15. daver969

daver969 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Jan 18 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]192692[/snapback]</div>
    I like how it translates the Prius' name:

From a caption on the site under a picture of the car:
    "The toyota 'pre- mortar' "

:lol: