1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06' Toyota Prius AUX button not working all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Brock, Jun 3, 2012.

1. 2006 Prius Guy

2006 Prius Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

2. 2006 Prius Guy

2006 Prius Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Varun Hknz’s Video fix worked for my 2006 Prius! While the electric circuit looks a teeny bit different from his, I basically joined the analogous two electric sections together. Didn’t have soldering iron, so I just wired the two sections together as my Aux unit had tiny metal posts sticking up that I could wrap the wire around.
    D54D9CEC-3A9E-4733-9294-1DFDAD773C39.jpeg

No need to remove front cup holder counsel either to access the aux. input unit. Just pried off the aux unit using a screwdriver blade.

Attached Files:

3. babymarx

babymarx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had this same issue. The aux button was not cycling to CD or AUX when pressed. I took it to a mechanic and we tried many different solutions. Reset the dash lights using the power and ODO buttons, pressing the aux repeatedly, looking for settings to fix using the multimedia dash display. None of them worked and finally we took a shot in the dark and unplugged the aux batter in the trunk of the car for five minutes and then plugged it back in. Voila, the aux button now works again and connected to my BT45-TOY audio transmitter that was using that input for bluetooth audio. Try this and hope it works for you!

4. Torquewrench

Torquewrench New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I reflowed the solder on all pins of the aux connector and bridged the contacts as shown in this post, above, 06' Toyota Prius AUX button not working all of a sudden | PriusChat

and the intermittent disconnect of the aux jack is still happening, often with jostling so there is a mechanical contact component. Makes me think the jack needs cleaning or replacement, anyone done this?

5. PriusGuy45

PriusGuy45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    Chiming in with my own AUX repair journey. TLDR: I followed 2006 Prius Guy's photo since I didn't have a soldering iron either. I wrapped a bit of copper wire around those two metal posts to bridge them together, slapped a piece of electrical tape over it, and boom: working aux port.

My aux port had slowly been going out over the course of a few months. It started randomly disconnecting and toggling between FM mode and Aux. If I applied pressure to the cord and kept it at just the right angle it would still work (like when you're trying to charge a phone with a failing port), but eventually that stopped working and the car wouldn't recognize any aux input at all. Then all I could do was toggle between FM/AM and CD mode, unable to even attempt a connection in aux mode.

I assumed there was a physical flaw with the port so I looked into buying an OEM replacement. Here in June 2023 I was able to find replacement part "86190-06010 Audio Auxiliary Jack" for $22.81 online, shipped from the Olathe, Kansas Toyota Parts Center. I placed my order and it shipped about a month later, and I got to work replacing the old port with my new part. I took apart my center console, popped out the old port, installed the new one ….. and nothing. Car still wouldn't recognize any aux input and would only switch between FM/AM and CD mode. Then I went down the list and started trouble shooting. I confirmed my aux cable and phone output worked by connecting them both to a speaker in my house, checked the power outlet fuses to make sure the center console was getting power, double checked that the center console power outlet worked. I unplugged the 12V battery for 10 minutes and then reconnected, disconnected and reconnected the other wiring harness cables underneath the center console.

And still nothing.

Lastly I started googling, found this thread, and attempted to bridge the contacts within the aux port since it seemed to be some sort of electrical issue in which the stereo wouldn't recognize an aux input and switch modes. I used the old aux port I had originally removed and attempted to replace, and followed along with the photo 2006 Prius Guy posted. I stripped some leftover speaker wire for copper cable, wrapped the wire around the two posts with a set of tweezers, and taped it in place. This wasn't perfect and there was probably some slight contact with the surrounding posts, but nothing has shorted itself yet. Main thing is to just make sure there is a good bridge between those two posts. I reinstalled my bridged aux port and it worked! The stereo now instantly switches to aux input when I press the button, and everything sounds correct. Its only been 3 days since I made the fix, but hopefully everything will work in the long term! I think the only downside to this solution is that you might lose access to your CD player as the stereo will believe your aux input is on 24/7, but I haven't tested this theory as I never use my CD player.

6. NathanMurray11

NathanMurray11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This worked for me, thank you very much!

vvillovv likes this.