1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'07 base Prius No tail lights. Disconnected 12v last week

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kmsbanr, Jul 17, 2018.

1. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last night I was pulled over by a very nice officer informing me I had no tail lights. He only issued me a warning when I was totally surprised. I knew they were working before I replaced my cruise control arm last week because I had looked to check bulbs for no particular reason within the last month. The car started fine and everything seems to be working since. Today I checked and all bulbs working except tail lights. All exterior bulbs replaced 2 years ago when in for 120,000 service. I didn't find anything in manual about tail light issues after disconnecting that battery and my searches on here have not been fruitful. I may be searching incorrectly.

I was trying to get bumper cover fitting fender better so I did hit it from the side with my fist (someone rear ended me many yrs ago) so not sure if this could cause it but it never had before.

Is there something I was supposed to do that I didn't? Do they burn out when battery reconnected? The only thing I did after this was to successfully program a new key.using the chicken dance, Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    only thing i can think of is a fuse, or some crimped wiring from the bumper.

kmsbanr likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rear bulbs are very easy to replace. Just remove little plastic door behind the light assy and twist the bulb socket lefty loosey and the bulb comes right out. After you take the bulb out look closely at the metal bulb socket for tarnishing or corrosion. It's a good idea to grease those sockets.

Use only the factory original bulbs. there cheap and outlast anything else.

kmsbanr likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A taillight issue would not be caused by your disconnecting the 12V battery. Just replace the failed bulbs and if the new bulbs light up, then no worries.

kmsbanr likes this.
  5. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Bisco,Ed and Patrick. Weds. I bought 2 dealer bulbs replaced them yesterday morning and they lit up! The old bulbs were very burned out! I will check the sockets and grease. Went to DMV and passed their inspection.

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do you know this actually happened?
    Other than looking for corrosion in the socket contacts, I am not sure what else needs checking.

kmsbanr likes this.
  7. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again. After reading so much on Prius Chat the past few days I don't know how my poor car is still running after 157,000 miles.Most of the maintenance suggested at intervals was never suggested or done when i brought in for the services, I just figured they checked them and they were fine I will do better in future.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most of it comes straight from the toyota maintenance schedule with the owners manual. priuschatters have added a few things based on experience.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought that made sense but other than oil changes, and the serpentine belt and spark plugs replaced in 120000 check nothing else was done by dealer or suggested for routine maintenance. Water pump, combination cluster module, steering shaft and gas pedal all done under warranty or Extended warranty. Worried now about coolants, transmission etc. Always recorded as checked that's all. My son did my front brakes rear were fine. Will need exhaust soon.

Bought a new air filter and pcv valve yesterday to replace and will clean MAF and TB at the same time. Wonder why they didn't replace pcv when they did spark plugs. My son said about the shaking and hearing it move and I have read varying opinions on this but I am just going to do it because part was so cheap. Forgot the washer so have to go back to dealer for it. DS says it is a lock washer and couldn't find correct size at Pep Boys yesterday so will go Monday. The parts guys very friendly and gave me 20% off. My old dealer only 10%. Guess they figure we can order online now and save money.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Is their a link describing the meaning of the Vehicle Signal Monitor and any other health checks available in this great car? I never knew VSM existed. Saw it said tail on when I was checking my battery (found this on PC) which was ok. When I fixed the tail lights that says off now. Interesting! Should get the computer program to check for codes? I don't see anything showing on dash but maybe that means nothing.

Thanks to all of you very knowledgeable Prius Chat mentors trying to help us uninformed learn to treat our cars better.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is very unusual for a dealer not to have their own schedule which includes a lot of upsell superfluous stuff.

but not to do the fluids at 120k its odd.

toyota doesn't get into the pcv, maf, tranny fluid and etc., they must figure they will last a long time, or replace as needed.

don't forget your cabin filter.

kmsbanr likes this.
  11. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When it is in do you thin they do a test on the fluids or just go by how they look and the levels? The colors in the reservoirs are not ant different than when it was new. But maybe the dirty looking fluids lurk inside.

I have had to be ultra vigilant with the cabin filter because mice loved my Prius almost as much as me. Not too much of an issue these days but I am always checking just in case, Thanks again.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fluids are a known quantity and done on a mileage basis. brake fluid can be tested, but it is not really necessary on a prius unless trying to go longer than the recommended intervals.
    i doubt they do any testing though, i have never heard of that being the case, and toyota does not recommend it.
    mice can be a huge problem with the wiring harness and it is best to be proactive. is your vehicle garaged?

kmsbanr likes this.
  13. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not unless a major storm is predicted. I don't garage any moving equipment because the mice like it better in a warm environment. I haven't been having any mice issues in my car for a really long time. They have nested in my lawn tractor and snow blower but less outside. Its cold. My home has more problems and traps and sorry to say poison has helped in the buildings a lot. They started the war and I have been able to limit their numbers will never get rid of them. It's a country thing in a property built in the late 1800's.

I will ask them about the fluids soon because needs another service. Thanks

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we just had exterminators come seal the house up. will be interesting to see if it works.

15. kmsbanr

kmsbanr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wish I could do that. My home has a stone foundation being built in 1879 so pretty much impossible. I can't reach an area under my porch but place two traps that seem to get the trespassers every time. I used to Havahart trap and drive them to a park until they invaded my engine's air filter and the car died on a busy interstate.. Thank God for my electric capability. It got me off the road and safely into a parking lot. I did the battery health check using the Vehicle Signal Monitor and under full load it stayed around 12.2 pretty steadily. The lowest it went in 7 mins(got distracted watching the reading) was 11.9 a few times. It as 14.3 under no load. It has been replaced with a non Toyota battery I bought online.I didn't see any evidence of chewing and have not had any other electrical issues I am aware of. Appreciate the ideas.

bisco likes this.