1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'07 Electrical Problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by elektrodread1, Jul 16, 2017.

1. elektrodread1

elektrodread1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Prius fam,

I have an '07 that has had some strange electrical issues (I'm assuming electrical) for several years, only now the problem seems to be getting worse.

On the dash the ABS, VSC, (!), and Red Triangle light have been lit for years. The only immediate problems: the cruise control doesn't work, nor does the anti-lock system. I was able to drive fine in this situation, so I ignored it.

Recently, all packed up during a hot summer day, a strange beep sounded in the car and it shifted (without me doing anything) from Drive into Neutral. (The AC also went out) It caused me to pull over and restart the car. This repeated three times before I let the car cool down, then I was able to drive it all the way home, driving slowly on backroads.

After checking out the car, the only thing the dealer could come up with was that I needed a new 12v battery -- and there was a chance it could solve everything. So I put one in and all the lights (and Check Engine) are still lit up! The car hasn't shifted into Neutral while driving, but the AC went out briefly today, and the car was hulking while I was doing 65 on the highway -- it also seemed to be struggling to get into gear, like there's an issue with the "transmission." (It's worth mentioning that this was after I'd driven a good 20 miles on the highway, and it was a hot day.)

I know there could be several issues going on, but I'd like to think there's some simple problem in the electrical system that's trigging all this madness.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as the dealers (I've been diagnosed by two so far!) can't seem to figure it out.

Gracias!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a bit confused, you say "ABS, VSC, (!), and Red Triangle light have been (lit for years)." and yet when you took it to the dealer, all they could find was the 12 V battery might be a bit iffy????

Have you been back to the dealer to report that there are still lights on the dash? My thinking is that they replaced the 12 V battery and expect that there will be no more codes (because the 12 V was the cause) or there will be more codes (because the 12 V battery is not the only cause of the lights). The only way to know whether it is the former of the latter, is a follow up appointment when lights came back on. Without the follow up the dealer ha no way of knowing that the 12 V battery was not the sole cause of the problems.

I find it astounding that you drove your car "for years" when the car is trying to tell you it is not well, signified by all the lights on the dash. Plugging in a diagnostic computer will provide the details of where the trouble may lie, yet you chose to remain ignorant of what problems your car developed.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. elektrodread1

elektrodread1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that was the only solution the dealer offered. About 3 years ago I brought the car into another Toyota dealer, and they came up empty-handed after 4 hours trying to diagnose it. It's disconcerting that two dealer mechanics couldn't figure this out. But because it was driving just fine (again, with no cruise control, ABS, and presumably VSC) I stopped thinking about it and put another 40k miles on it with no additional issues.

Now that it's involuntarily slipping into neutral, I'm wondering if it's a continuation of the same problem, or something altogether new.

I have an appointment to return to the dealer now with my new 12v and old problems. I'll be sure to get a report of the diagnostics and post back here.

Thanks for taking the time....

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

5. elektrodread1

elektrodread1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of all the lights being on, but no codes. has to be a malfunction in the display or something.

might be good to check the12v and connections, especially negative to body.

7. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While the lack of antilock brakes and vehicle stability control may make the car a bit less safe, suddenly slipping into neutral is outright dangerous. I think it's time for another trip to a dealer to diagnose what's wrong. There must be more than 2 Toyota dealers in the greater Boston area.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's throwing codes for sure a lot of them, The codes it threw should be listed on the receipt. You will never fix this until you take control of the situation and get a list of all the codes and post them back here so we can help.

Go to toyota.com/owners and join that forum. Post your vin and go to service history you will see a notation of svery time the car has been seen
    At an authorized Toyota dealer service center. Codes should be listed there
    If not that dealer really sucks.