1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 hid headlight housing

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Chrismeyers, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Chrismeyers

Chrismeyers New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi everyone, my wife’s sister has a 07 Prius and she recently love tapped a deer and broke some of the driver side headlight cover. My question is do I have to buy the hid housing or can I transfer all hid components to a no hid housing? Is there a difference in the mounting of the hid compared to the halogen? More worried about that, I can improvise on mounting ballast if bulb will fit the cheaper housing. Or can I buy the cheaper housing and simply replace the plastics and leave the original housing there. Any info and insight would be awesome thanks in advance

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The housings are different, you'll have to buy an HID headlight assembly. There are usually many available on ebay.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My guess is yes, the clear cover probably fits both HID and non-HID headlight modules. The rest of the headlight module is different between the two.

The reason I have any opinion is that I've done about half the project of converting my HID lights to projectors. So I bought a used non-HID module to try the conversion. The bulb mounting and ballast attachment are incompatible. But I've still got this really clear cover that looks like it will replace the hazy old one.

The cover comes off by putting the entire assembly in an oven at about 150 degrees for maybe 15 minutes. That loosens the goo that attaches the cover, and you can pry it off. There are YouTube videos about projector conversions that show the entire process. The temperatures and times vary, and I had to cook my assembly a second time because the goo wasn't soft enough the first time. But I'd still start at a low temperature/time and increase it only as necessary. Replacement goo is available from folks who sell projector conversions.

RCO likes this.