1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'07 Pack#2, wonderful Car- Most Not Impressed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dorf, Sep 8, 2009.

1. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I asked this question a long time ago but the same responses still surface.

Most people that I talk to about a Prius are simply not interested.

So I must be a dolt wanting technology, super gas milage, good looks, comfortable ride and more.

Why are people set in their mind set (young and old).about these wonderful vehicles ?

Most want same old same old stuff, gas guzzler stuff.

I'm still confused.

Cheers...from Arkansas

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same exact car. I believe most people think that I am lying when I say I get well over 50 MPG without even really trying, but when they get inside they are impressed even if they do not want to admit it. I have family members that don't want to respect it only because its a Toyota.

As far as people being interested in the technology. The other car companies have done an excellent job of producing hybrid vehicles that were significantly more costly and provided minimal benefits. (I am looking at you GM) And what happens is the local newspaper columnists that do the car review trashes hybrids for their "premium price" and "minimal results" and then people assume they are all the same. They also somehow have painted the hybrid vehicle mostly because of the original versions of the Insight and Prius as being tiny clown cars.

3. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The people I talk to mention they heard the hybrid battery would be costly to replace. All it took for me was a test ride to have me hooked.

4. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People (especially when they know little or nothing about a subject) are afraid of change. I am sure most people will stay away from hybrids for 2 reasons: 1) the drivetrain is, to them, exotic and, therefore, must cost tens of thousands of dollars to keep running, and 2) they grew up with battery toys, having to replace battery after battery - surely this Prius is just a Big Toy and will cost thousands of dollars to buy new batteries every few weeks/months! I bet if you did a good survey of non-Prius owners, the average battery cost they believe is correct would be near $10,000, and the average lifespan they believe the battery will get would be a year (based on people I've talked to).

5. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Yeah, the "batteries are costly to replace" myth seemingly won't die. I try to educate people who try that on me. I don't know whether it works, though.

6. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree the Prius is a superior choice but...

You and many others are happy with your Prius, isn't that enough? Why worry whether others like your Prius/choice?

You're expecting them to tell you your choice of cars is better than theirs? You don't approve of their car choices, but you can't understand why they don't seem to approve of yours? You might as well expect them to volunteer that they're not as smart as you are.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, why care? I suspect they will come to appreciate hybrids in time, and you'll be ahead of the curve in the end, in the meantime - patience. And while they may drive gas guzzlers, they may have other virtues that you or I lack at the moment...

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many people are very hung up about how a car looks or how it should look. The Gen2 is certainly not the most attractive car on the road, but it is very functional, efficient, and I think it is cute.

Many people at my work place could care less about a Prius. A few have some interest though.

I was always intrigued seeing a Prius roll by in a parking lot on battery, making no sound. I really liked that.

One thing that irks me is people who think very little of driving a vehicle that is much more gas thirsty than they possibly need.
    For example, commuting in a Big 4 wheel drive truck, when they virtually have no need for a truck. That is such a waste of a non-renewable resource.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Americans are a mixed breed. Some just want to drive massive, gas thirsty vehicles and think nothing of it, long as they can afford the gas.

However, if someone owns a huge vehicle, but only drives 3k miles / year, maybe that's not such a bad thing. It would seem a little silly to have a Prius and only drive it 3k miles / year, or maybe not.

Good news is the Gen3 Prius is a better looking car and it's selling very well.

9. desertrider2215

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same for me, and same for the other people who have been skeptics of my car. I have turned prius haters into prius lovers, really, just by taking them for a drive. its hilarious

and then theres the american car-buyers who will NOT accept anything but american..don't even get me started on those, they're the worst. ha ha:confused:

10. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Especially funny when their "American" car is probably built in Mexico or Canada (or contains more Japanese parts than American parts), and "foreign" cars are made in Ohio.

11. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't "proselytize" about my choice (for the most part). If someone asks me about the Prius, I'm happy to tell them of my experience with it (and that my wife and I each drive one).

Usually, the issue comes up from the other side: someone making disparaging remarks about "battery" life or expensive replacement of the traction battery, or that it doesn't save any energy over the lifetime of the car, etc. Then I feel it incumbent to try to reduce the ignorance of such claimants.

I don't care what most other people drive, and I don't think the Prius is for everybody. I'm happy with mine, that's all.

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Honestly I'm a little disapponted by how some Prius owners seem to want to tell everyone about their um....piousness. Whatever happened to "don't argue with idiots, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"?

13. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I, too, have an 07#2. Most people I know are educated or European and they like it. The camera is a unanimous winner.

Do consider that there is no single car that satisfies a majority or even a significant % of people, not at that price range. That's why there are so many different models around.

The Prius is just one of them and it's remains somewhat of a novelty to many. Judging by its resale value, I'd say that a lot of people like it...

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait...you mean The Prius is a "Hybrid"? It has a battery? Tell me more.....

I was going to get one because I like tall hatchbacks with uncomfortable seats.