1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 Prius Codes C1259 C1310 P3018

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SLPTWP, Jun 16, 2017.

1. SLPTWP

SLPTWP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    07 Prius 262k
    1. Error codes. C1259. C1310 & P3018.

OK FIRST THING WORK PREVIOUSLY DONE TO CAR
      new 12v battery around 6 mo ago
      Checked all HV cells range between 7.75v and 7.52v. We have replaced 4 cells total at different miles
      Just put in new spark plugs and new ignition coils..
      Of course oils change we use AMSOIL will be needed another at 266k
      Perhaps need new gaskets and seals cause oil level drops pretty fast
      New tires not really important

Never have we done any brake pad work on this car because the brake pads still seam to be good

OK so went on a trip from KS up trough NEBRASKA trough SD and WY to MT ..I noticed my HV battery not doing well through the mountains and I am thinking I am needing another battery cell..
      Checked all the cells Voltage all seamed good voltage listed above my fan was noisey when the triangle came on so we had checked the fan it looked fine.. have seen things about skid control ECU so I got on and ordered an ECU should come Thursday... Any help with these codes and parts or experience with what a dealer has said would be much appreciated!
    I talked with one other member and his thoughts were that I needed to recondition the hv battery pack
    Also yesterday I took it to a mechanic to do a diagnostic and all they want to tell me is hybrid battery won't hold a charge even though we know damn well it does fine with there is nothing on the dash..And c1259 from what I've read is a regenerative malfunction and c1310 is a skid control ECU problem..I am so furious that the shop only wants to say hybrid battery issue and told him I was furious he said he would ask more details and call me back..I don't think I should have to pay a diagnostic if they can't tell me anything I didn't already tell them.. please any help with these issues

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1 of the modules in block 8 is bad and you probably would need to put a significant load on it to identify which of the 2 modules in block 8 are bad. Then recondition the battery so all the modules are balanced.

If you want a cheap way out and buy you a little more time. Buy 2 good modules and replace both of them on block 8. I have 2 modules to sell if you want to take this route

Counting from the side OPPOSITE of the battery ecu and wiring, each pair of modules is 1 block. block 8 would be somewhere in the middle of the pack, modules #15 and #16

strawbrad and SLPTWP like this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, C1259 and C1310 are just information codes passed from the HV battery ECU to tell the other respective ECUs there is a battery problem. (This is so they can modify their behavior to further protect the car, driver and battery.)

At this point, buying another skid control ECU is just a waste of time and money. The real issue is the P3018, which is detailed in JC's post above. Fix this (properly) and the other two will not come back once you have fixed the P3018 and reset the codes.

JC91006 likes this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What dolj said..... Focus on p3018.
    That is the root of the problem.

If you are furious hopefully you kept that in check because they are correctly focusing on the right problem.

Do you own some diagnostic equipment like an Elm 327 Bluetooth OBDII reader or techstream so you can watch/record the data live? If so you should easily be able to see data that will confirm the same diagnosis that the mechanic gave you.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well put. As dolj said, the C1259 and C1310 are both repeater codes in other ECUs that simply echo a problem indication from the HV system.

That is covered in the repair manual. Generally, there seem to be two broad approaches to working with a shop mechanic: (a) trust the mechanic, or (b) engage in dialectic with the mechanic.

Shop mechanics generally prefer (a), and can be a bit acerbic about (b):
    [​IMG]

Me, I think (b) can be valuable, if the mechanic is open to it, and if you've made the effort to go to the source for your information, first. Definitely before getting furious with the mechanic.

-Chap

#5 ChapmanF, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    dolj, strawbrad and JC91006 like this.
  6. SLPTWP

SLPTWP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone how about I read a post about putting in gen 3 cells for gen2 can I put in just two cells to get rid of cell pack 8 issue? I am looking for cells that have a 7.75v JC91006 were any of your cells that strong for purchase?

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not recommended, you are better to replace all the Gen 2 modules with the Gen 3 modules.
    There is more to it than just resting voltage. You really need to look for modules that charge and discharge at the same rate as the remaining existing modules. Unless. of course, you really like going in every couple of months to "whack-a-mole".

8. SLPTWP

SLPTWP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK well instead of putting in Gen 3 I put in one Gen2 cell that was pretty much the same as the others in voltage just a couple hundredths of a volt... It replaced a 7.52v cell and it was 14 cells over from counting left to right..Now I am really not sure if that was block 8 cause if I counted from left to right every two cells that's block 7.. anyhow it was low and I have now driven 160 miles w/out warning lights but today it's 90* out and I noticed my fan that goes to the Hybrid battery all of a sudden started to run loud...So what is my car trying to tell me?? Also my battery will charge but it makes me nervous cause it will get down to two purple bars ..

9. SADIK

SADIK New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

10. SADIK

SADIK New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Hi everyone i got Toyota prius got problems with it red triangle light on vsc and abs light on hybrid batry get hot investor got hot car gos on limp mod i don't know can anyone one had symptoms like this any one help me iam bit worried

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will have to have the car diagnosed.
    You can do it yourself if you purchase or own the right tools. Else you will have to take it somewhere
    With an Android phone, an ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII adaptor, and the Torque Pro app , you may be able to do your own diagnosis.

It could be one of several problems. But it is hard to guess from here.
    Low oil, inverter pump, bad battery, bad inverter, low 12v battery are just some of the random options.

Skibob likes this.