1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'07 Prius Headlight Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Baca3, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Baca3

Baca3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I replaced my front headlight bulbs. Placement is correct, wires are connected... Everything with the installation is correct. However, the driver side, is horizontal, but seems to cut short, meaning it doesn't project outward as far as the passenger side. So that's issue No. 1. Issue No. 2 is that the passenger side does not project horizontally like the driver's side, but it does project far outward, just not in a solid beam. It's kind of a scattered projection and does not shine towards the side. The passenger side is the same as with the old bulb. If anyone has/had the same issue and came to a solution to it, I would very much appreciate any information the fix the problem. It's a bit of a nuisance not having uniform lighting and it makes driving at night not the most comfortable. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you sure the bulbs seated correctly?

3. Baca3

Baca3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, there's only one way they can be seated, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get them to stay. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the lamp not reflecting the light correctly... I don't know of that sounds like a possibility.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was the car previously in a front-end accident?
    Does your car have halogen headlights?
    Who is the manufacturer of the new headlight bulbs?

Did the original headlight bulb also have this problem? If no, perhaps the new bulb has a slightly different physical shape than the old. Can the headlight beam be adjusted?

So this issue existed with the old bulb as well as the new? Is it possible that the entire headlamp assembly needs to be replaced? (perhaps damaged in an accident?)

5. Baca3

Baca3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It did have a front end accident with the previous owner. The old bulb had the same issue. The driver side was burnt out so I replaced it because I had to, so I replaced the passenger side just so there were new bulbs for both and hoping it would fix the passenger side issue. The lights are halogen, and I looked at the shape of the old and new, and they were exactly the same. The new bulbs are Sylvania, but if the bulb is the issue, I'll get some Phillips. The headlight assemblies look like new and don't have any visible damages or anything like that. The only real thing I can think of to be the problem with the actual assemblies, could be with the round reflective globe that the bulb points at. But I have no clue.

Attached Files:

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for posting the photos. How about the high beam pattern - is that symmetrical or does it also show the left side lower than the right?

7. Baca3

Baca3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The high beams seem fine... Kind of look like the right is shifted to the left though.

Attached Files:

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps you might inspect the plastic headlight assemblies to see whether you can determine if they are original equipment (with a Toyota part number) or aftermarket. If the latter, maybe the quality of the part is less than optimal.

The low beam pattern on both sides is supposed to be taller on the right (passenger side), to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. The high beam pattern on both sides is supposed to be a symmetrical oval which is longer in the horizontal direction and shorter in the vertical direction. The headlight beams should point straight ahead.

At a ten-foot distance from the front of the car to a wall that you are projecting the lights towards, the top right of the low beam pattern should be at the same height as the height of the bulb itself. The high beam pattern should be centered at the same height as the bulb height.

9. Baca3

Baca3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool, I'll check out the assembly and see what I can find. I'll let you know when I check it out. Thanks!