1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 Prius misfire troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by runkrod, Mar 16, 2017.

1. runkrod

runkrod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey gang,
    My 07 (156,000miles) has been stuttering and misfiring for a few weeks. Intermittently get codes for cylinder 2 and 4. Swapped ignition coils between 2 and 3 but code continues on #2. Replaced the fuel injectors this weekend. Still getting stuttering (usually at idle) and did get codes for 2 and 4 once. Also seeing a 10mpg drop in performance on this first tank of gas since replacing. So here are the questions:
    1. Aside from replacing spark plugs (which were replaced last august), what else causes misfiring? Anything else to look at assuming my next steps are coils and plugs?
    2. Thoughts on why I see a 10mpg drop in performance after the injector change? (It has gotten much colder this week, but in my 9 years of ownership I don't recall this much of a drop due to temp).
    Thanks

2. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    which codes?

Don't assume the plugs are good, try a new one. Look for air leaks.

3. runkrod

runkrod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Codes 300, 302, 304. Also, after reading my own post, it is obvious that I've made a bad assumption that the plugs are good. Clearly I need to check them.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OEM or other name-brand plugs are seldom bad, but will-fit ones (private label etc) are ALWAYS suspect.

The fact that when you changed coils the misfire changed suggests that a coil or boot may be to blame.

Did you LIBERALLY coat the outside of coil boot and plug cavity with dielectric grease, did you use quality (Bosch, NGK, Denso) plugs? If not, I would start there.

5. runkrod

runkrod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. I clearly need to check the plugs, as they were swapped out by a shop and I don't know what they used.
    2. If I was unclear, the codes did NOT switch when I swapped the ignitors, hence my discounting of their involvement.
    3. Dielectric grease? No. But will when I switch out the plugs to Bosch.

So, thinking ahead. If I swap the plugs out for Bosch or Denso, and liberally coat with grease. And if the problem remains with 2 and 4, what then?

Thanks

6. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Suspect the coils, while the plugs are out swap the even coils to odd and vice-versa. If the DTCs follow the coils, BINGO!

7. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    if moving the coils around doesn't change anything with the new spark plugs then check the wiring loom, you may have a broken/frayed low voltage wire leading to the coil.

8. runkrod

runkrod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I replaced the plugs. I dont want to jump to conclusions but maybe, perhaps the fact that the ceramic is cracked and has exposed metal the problem could be these crap plugs! We will see how she runs now! 1490387428573.jpg

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, them are bad. what kine?

10. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are NGKs from the photo, were also drowned at some point and with one broken insulator, that explains it ALL.

11. RickyV12

RickyV12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would like to share my case of 2007 Prius misfire. It is a beat up 2007 Prius with 200k+ miles, previous owner did worse to maintenance this car. missing screws everywhere....., I changed HV battery with AGM 12V battery, and It had been working for me for 1 year.., I changed motor oil 6 weeks ago with mild oil spilled and some oil get inside of spark plugs, after 2 weeks, car was having misfired with car shut down suddenly with Codes 301, 302, 304 , It happened often with raining day, all ignition coils with condensation water, cleaned water out and it worked fine for few days and misfired come back with condensation water on ignition coils, broken head gasket? no, it is loosing spark plugs, Its small fume causing condensation water and it caused arcing and misfired. After cleaned all ignition coils and spark plugs, installed spark plugs with anti-seizing cream, car works fine again/

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s quite a case.

13. Sam Smith

Sam Smith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 with almost 180,000 started bucking and felt like the engine was going to come out. Fortunately, i was only a few blocks from home. I put my analyzer on it and it showed the P0300, P0302 and P0304 codes. My first step was to replace the spark plugs, at about $9 each. A very simple operation after you move the relay panel to the side and assuming you have the proper spark plug socket and a 10mm socket to remove the coil packs.

After the new spark plugs were in place, same thing, bucking a kicking. Same trouble codes. At the suggestion of a friend, i switched the coil packs in pairs. Switched 1 & 2, and switched 3 & 4. I really expected the error codes to switch to P0301 and P0303, but was surprised when they switched to P0301 and P0302. Very confusing.

Next, I ordered new coil packs. I opted for the inexpensive Chinese ones, a full set of 4 was only about $55, vs that much each for the Toyota OEMs. I replaced 1 & 2 first, since they were the ones with the error codes. Voila!! The engine purrs like a kitten and my beloved little Prius is back on the road. By the way, I went ahead and replaced 3 & 4, but kept (and labeled) the old ones in case I need them in the future.

Hope this helps someone. I did a lot of reading about causes and just worked from the lowest denominator up. Fixed it myself for just over $100!!

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And it’s $100 down the drain and waste of your time. Cheapo cops will not last long. It’s Chinese junk. Same if you bought the plugs anywhere but the dealer counterfeit spark plugs are just a way of life now.

Many youtubes of misfiring G2s and cops fixing them.

15. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good luck with your repair. If it works for you- fine. But don't be surprised if something fails in the next year. As a mechanic I've wasted way too much time dealing with problems caused by cheap parts. For this I only use parts from Toyota or a name brand (Denso - NGK, etc) from a reputable supplier. Not ebay or amazon.

edthefox5 likes this.