1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 prius p0420 plus ran out of gas and computer data not matching

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kimberlybee, Mar 14, 2019.

1. kimberlybee

kimberlybee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The p0420 is persistent on my 07 prius with 155k. It has had check engine light on for months. The timeline below happened 3 days after oil change, brake job (new rotors, pads), and o2 sensors replaced then removed when they didn't do the trick (old ones were reinstalled as I was told they were fine). Car ran fine but mechanic said it wouldnt pass smog and that it was definitely the CAT. quoted $2800 CA
    Anywho, Tuesday's (3-12-19) Timeline is as follows:
    1. I ran out of gas and made emergency exit off the highway, rolled/ sputtered to safety
    2. Took Lyft round trip to gas station to buy/fill 1 gal. 'gastainer' leaving car off and taking smartkey with me
    3. deposit gas, attempt restart unsuccessfully, it would not go into D or R only N not going into ready mode with the !, ABS, and VSC lights all remaining on.
    4. putting vehicle in neutral and rolling backwards to level vehicle thinking that may help (never been able to do that before, I didnt think a prius could) car still showed same lights and did not go into gear/ ready mode.
    5. repeat of Lyft to gas station for 1 more gal.
    6. again, deposit gas, attempt restart unsuccessfully, it would not go into D or R only N still not going into ready mode still !, ABS, and VSC lights all remaining on.
    7. I thought to disconnect 12v for a few minutes then reconnect. That did not change anything.
    8. Then some method of reset( i can provide details if needed) found in the manual ended up working to put car in ready mode and as I drove away I noticed the check engine light was off. I assumed that was from the temp. battery disconnection.
    9. Arrived at destination around 15 miles later, friend's friend smog test place to see if he could give second opinion and further advise me of any options as I cannot afford a new CAT in Ca. Left it there for a few hours. When I got back he ended up asking me where I got my car from because the data is not registering or matching up with anything. He said he could tell that i needed a new CAT which I had to do first then take to referee second to sort out the data problem.

It has been to the dealership for service most of its life. The first time I took it anywhere else was last week, nobody ever indicated any data connection problems or inability to read.
    Could I have done this Tuesday or could this have happened during o2 sensors dosido at mechanics last week. Is it possible that computer resets itself after a cycle?

Thanks

2. kimberlybee

kimberlybee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Also, when I got car from last place (where no repairs were to happen only advice given) the bluetooth/phone link was not functioning. 2 days since and Without changing anything on car or phone it has begun working again.