1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 Prius Steering noise. I need help?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AllanK530, Mar 8, 2018.

1. AllanK530

AllanK530 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello there. I have a 07 Prius and every time the steering wheel is turned counterclockwise there is a squeaking sound, similar to the sound when power steering fluid is low on fluid. I can only hear this at slower speeds. I just learned this car uses an electric motor for steering. Also occasionally when driving the steering pulls to the left. When breaking it wants to turn to the left occasionally.

My question is do you think this is the rack and pinion? Also, should this be fixed immediately?

Thanks,

Allan

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When was the last time you got your front shocks/suspension checked? Might be the strut tower bearing that's worn

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. AllanK530

AllanK530 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I haven't had that checked. How do you check that?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I thought the Same thing Jc the strut bearing. I hope it’s that as the rack is expensive to replace but very few posts on this site about issues with the rack.

The strut bearing is at the top of the strut and allows the wheel to turn. It’s usually replaced with the strut. It feels like a new steering system with that bearing replaced. I had the struts and that bearing
    Repkaced on my 07 and the steering effort was very noticeable in that it was so much easier to turn the wheel.

How many miles on the car?was it ever in a front end accident or caught a curb?

You can take it to any tire shop for free inspection. Outside of the electric rack it’s a standard car suspension.

5. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sound like this?

My VIN was not included in any steering recalls after checking with Toyota and some other recall sites.

#5 Sezy, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did the car get the steering link TSB update done to it. No updated steering will cause that sound.
    That update was years ago.

7. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sadly mine was not part of that recall and the part in the recall from what I've seen is way lower from where I'm hearing the clunk.