1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 Prius/Strange dash noises/video

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scott56, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Scott56

Scott56 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

This is a strange noise that comes from my 2007 Toyota Prius in both driving and in park mode. The audio needs to be turned up very loud to hear it and it sounds like it is coming from under the center dash console. It only does it in cool to cold weather and it happens only about once a week and has not progressed into how often it happens. It doesn't affect any parts of the car. I'm just trying to find a diagnosis for it if anyone has had similar noises. In the summer, there is a louder repetitive clicking kind of sound, which I will post later once I hear it. It only seems to do it in hot to warm weather perhaps on a once a week basis. I switch the damper from defrost to another setting and it resolves the clicking sound for an undetermined time, but the damper switching does not resolve this small barking kind of sound. The barking sound has been related to brake actuator issues, but the dealership did a brake check (and I mentioned specifically to check the actuator) and they didn't find anything wrong with it. It had made this barking sound in the video maybe a couple times before they checked it.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like the actuator, but may not have progressed enough to throw a code.

3. Shaunius

Shaunius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    could it be the disc player? have you inserted something or is something half way lodged into the indash player

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or maybe the coolant storage tank pump?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a 3 way coolant valve that's about to go bad. When it goes bad, you'll get the check engine light. It's much louder if you open your hood and hear it outside. Code p1121

If you're in a CARB state, there's a warranty on it for 15 years/150k miles

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully scot is still tuned in after 9 months