1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 Prius transmission cover leaking PLS HELP!! NEED ADVICE and INFO

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by db6510, Apr 10, 2012.

1. db6510

db6510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    07 Prius transmission cover leaking PLS HELP!! NEED ADVICE and INFO. Now w/ a pic.

I have a 2007 prius and it is leaking transmission fluid from the drivers side cover (it's about 2ft in diameter maybe). Around the bottom bolt the transmission cover was snapped off so I tightened the bolt and placed jb weld around the bolt were the piece is broken off. It's not like that piece really mattered except that it tightened the cover more evenly. (it is the outside edge of the cover that goes around the bolt). I was wondering if anyone knew what that cover is called and what is attached to it. I was thinking to either replace it or to take it off and get it welded and to seal it up. I think that is where it is currently leaking through is the seal. I also was wondering if I take off the cover if their won't be any gears flying out or w/e if it holds everything together. I need to do something fast cause it's leaking for a while now. I don't want to kill my tranny. My car is an '07 with 65k miles. Could also take some pictures.

Thanks in advance,
    David

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi

Pics would help. My advise is to check the level of the trans fluid (it should be within 0 - 5 mm of the fill hole) and add WS ATF as needed until you can address the leak.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. db6510

db6510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally took a photo but it isn't the best quality. Does anyone know what the cover is called and what is held in place by it and also what I should do? Also if you can't tell by photo but it is the vertical cover all the way on the drivers side. The part closest to the frame rail. Circled in red was the damaged part and the red is the atf fluid.

Attached Files:

5. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might help to post another photo zoomed back for orientation purposes.

Are you sure that the leaking fluid is ATF and not coolant? The light pink residue on the seam seems to be dried coolant, not ATF.

In any event, the proper repair would be to have the cover replaced which might require transaxle removal. A temporary work around would be to top off fluid as required.

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The pink along the seam is gasket material.

The problem is, where do you get another cover, if you cannot repair this one? You'd have to find a known-bad trans where someone would otherwise sell it for scrap. How far are you from Scottsburg, In? AutoBeYours may be able to help.

8. Hybrid_Tom

Hybrid_Tom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    [​IMG]

Is this the area you are talking about. It is hard to tell from your photo.