1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

07 Prius won't crank after new engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Demetrius, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Demetrius

Demetrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    About 6 months ago my Prius's engine threw a rod from low oil and I just put a new engine in today. When I try to crank it nothing happens. Dash lights come on as well as the radio but the engine doesn't crank. When I start the car it shows "Problem" but no ODBII codes. I'm thinking the hybrid battery is completely dead but I'm not sure. The car has 280,000 miles.

2. Demetrius

Demetrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I recharged the battery and shows mostly full now but still won't crank the engine and says problem.

3. Demetrius

Demetrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The problem was the security clip for the Hybrid Battery pack wasn't pushed down when I inserted it. The car did start and run but eventually the battery discharged and engine will shut off. I get these codes. P0335, P0A9C, P2237, P0A90, P0AA6.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How long does the engine "run" for before it shuts off? I ask because the P0335 indicates that the ECM doesn't like something about the crankshaft position sensor circuit. If that has a problem then I wouldn't expect the ICE to be able to run. In that case then the hybrid system would spin the ICE at 1000 rpm for up to 10 seconds to try and start it. To anyone near the car it sounds like the ICE is running then stalls but really it never did run at all.

Don't try to start the car without diagnosing this code- you will discharge the HV battery and then you won't be able to charge it again (unless you happen to own a grid charger).

Read up on your codes in the factory service manual.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Demetrius likes this.