1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'07 Prius won't start - suspect Hybrid battery contactor (relay) may be at fault

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RickO, May 12, 2023.

1. RickO

RickO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2007 Prius had been running fine until just recently, despite the fact that is has nearly 250,000 miles on it. Suddenly, one day, the red triangle warning showed up and my OBD2 code reader said the Hybrid Battery was bad. After watching a few YouTube videos about Hybrid battery diagnosis, I decided to order a Panlong OBD2 bluetooth scanner to use with my Android cell phone with the Torque Pro diagnostic app. I wanted to see whether the battery really needed to be replaced, or if it had just one or two bad blocks that could be replaced.

After setting up and running Torque Pro, I was very surprised at the results. I had set the app up to show voltage readings on all 14 blocks, as well as HV State of Charge. I had read that blocks showing voltages between 14 and 16 could be considered good. What I found was that only block 5, at 13.9 volts, was lower than the others. Numbers 1 and six showed 15.0 volts, and all the rest showed 15.1 volts. State of Charge showed 0.0, which is about what I expected since the engine would not start and the dashboard view of the hybrid battery shows zero bars. Since the voltage readings were better than what I expected, and with the one block being just a hair below normal, it seems strange that the battery would not take a charge and leads me to believe something else is at fault. If the hybrid battery had been going weak, it seems that my miles-per-gallon would have noticeably diminished, but it didn't. My mpg has remained up around 47 for at least the past 2 or 3 years, and continued that way right up until this problem occurred.

Just before the hybrid battery lost all of its charge, I noticed that I could hear a couple of loud clicks, in rapid succession, when I pushed the Start button. To me, that sounded like a large relay attempting to engage, but then failing and dropping the contact. I know that there are three relays for the hybrid battery, and that these are referred to as "contactors." Here's a photo showing these relays. One is a "Pre-charge contactor," and is used in conjunction with the auxiliary battery to supply an initial amount of power to the system so as to prevent a huge surge and otherwise resultant arcing when full power comes on. That's why that relay has a ballast resistor, and also is said to utilize a capacitor. The other two relays connect the positive and negative hybrid battery cables to the inverter. Thus, if any one of the three relays is not operating correctly then that would explain why the hybrid battery failed to stay charged.
    Hybrid Battery Contactors or relays.jpg

Of course the proper operation of at least the "Pre-charge contactor" depends upon the charge of the auxiliary battery being sufficient to activate the relay, so I checked the aux battery (Exide Edge AGM type, 440 CCA) with a load tester. It checked out good, and at 12.6 volts. I figured it would because it was replaced just 2 years ago. If I press the Start button with the key fob in and my foot on the brake pedal, I can hear the relay clicking as if attempting to engage, but nothing else happens.

While I have easy access to the hybrid battery now, I will pull the disconnect plug and remove the battery cover so that I can inspect the bus bars and clean them. Then I'll see what's up with the one module block that is slightly on the low side from normal voltage to determine if that should be replaced. Then I'll need a suitable charger to use in bringing the hybrid batter up to a sufficient state of charge so that I can do further testing and adjustments. So that's the plan, and I'd welcome the thoughts and suggestions of others who may have had a similar problem and cured it without having to replace the entire hybrid battery.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Could you be prevailed on to post the code or codes that your code reader showed you? They help us more than paraphrases do.

Hard to say for sure without knowing the actual trouble code(s), but, in general, the system makes its judgments about when to set those codes based on a more complete and dynamic picture of the battery's behavior than you are looking at with Torque. You are seeing a snapshot, but the car is watching the voltage behavior of those modules in operation as different levels of current are flowing, and second-guessing its judgment based on a Torque snapshot is hard.

We've had threads before where somebody suddenly has started hearing the main relays on start and swears up and down never to have heard them before. It's just one of those things: sometimes what cargo you are or aren't carrying in back, or whether the seat is up or down or the deck board is out, makes a big difference in how audible the clicks are, and then somebody will notice them once for the first time and then never go back to not noticing them again.

This diagram shows you how they are arranged. (It's a diagram for a particular trouble code we don't know if you have yet, but it's ok for giving the lay of the land, anyway.) Prof. Kelly may call them contactors, but Toyota calls them the System Main Relays, SMR1, SMR2, and SMR3 here.

[​IMG]

As you see, SMR1 and SMR2 are on the same end of the battery, only one has a resistor and one doesn't. SMR3 is on the other end of the battery, so when the relays are all open, the battery is completely isolated from the car at both ends.

The capacitor you mention isn't something the precharge circuit utilizes, it's just the reason the precharge circuit needs to be there. The "boost converter" and "a/c inverter" you see in the diagram both have big capacitors on their inputs, and if you just went and slammed SMR2 and SMR3 to bring the battery online, there would be a big slosh of current into those capacitors, to the detriment of the life expectancy of the SMRs.

So the normal sequence when you press start is the ECU closes SMR3 and SMR1. That's two clicks, but close enough together to just sound like one, and because of the resistor, there's just a slow slosh of current into the inverter capacitors. A split second later, when the voltage is the same on both sides, the ECU closes SMR2 (the one without the resistor) and drops out SMR1, and now the battery is fully connected without the resistor, and the start sequence is complete. That's why it sounds like a couple big clicks. That's the normal sound.

Certain trouble codes will make the ECU decide not to energize the relays at all until the problem is fixed, and there can be other cases where it goes part-way into the startup sequence and then sees a reason to say "nope." So usually, when the SMRs are not bringing the battery online when you want, it isn't going to turn out to be their fault. They're just being controlled by the ECU, and the ECU is saying "nope, please read the trouble codes I'm giving you."

So, if it were me in this situation, I would be going back for the full set of trouble codes to post here, before reaching for any screwdrivers or wrenches.

3. RickO

RickO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the diagram, and sharing your knowledge. The code reader showed P0A80. Yes, it is quite likely that the relay clicks seem loud simply because I had already removed the rear seat backs and access panels so that I could get at the hybrid battery. Later today I removed the battery cover to take a look at the bus bars, and found that they could use a good cleaning, so I'll work on that tomorrow before doing anything else.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Rick O

I'll just assume from your OP that you have an engineering background.
    There's no need to overcomplicate what you have going on.
    The battery is monitored as 14 blocks.
    Your battery is built using 28 individual NiMH modules, each with a 7.2vdc nominal voltage. (typically 7.5-8.1v during normal operation) connected in series for a nominal voltage ~202vdc (~218vdc during normal operation)
    2 modules make one block, for monitoring purposes.
    Each module is a plastic housing with 6 individual cells inside connected in series. Each cell is ~1.2 volts, for a total of ~7.2 volts. So, each block that is displayed in your program is actually 12 individual 1.2v cells.
    Now imagine what happens when one cell inside one module fails....how much does the voltage change for that module? Yes, pretty much exactly what you measured and stated in your first post.

Your car has likely detected (and you even verified) that you have a single cell failure in block 5.

Fix the obvious first before you go digging yourself into a rabbit hole. There are likely other weak modules, but more in-depth testing is needed to determine those.

Brian1954 likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also, it is highly unlikely the battery is actually at a zero SOC. It's much more likely to be a false indication, either due torque settigns, the safety disconnect not having step 3 performed for the installation (pushing handle down to satisfy the interlock), or perhaps damage at the voltage sensing harness ecu socket.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While not having the handle pushed down to close the interlock will give you a P0A0D code and a car that won't want to go READY, I've never heard that it changes the state of charge reading.

But I've also probably never looked at the state of charge reading with the interlock open.

7. RickO

RickO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @ TMR-JWAP: You said, "Your car has likely detected (and you even verified) that you have a single cell failure in block 5.

Fix the obvious first before you go digging yourself into a rabbit hole. There are likely other weak modules, but more in-depth testing is needed to determine those
    ."

Yes, I had first studied the composition and specs for the hybrid battery, so had assumed (after seeing the Torque Pro results) that the low module could possibly have a single cell failure. That makes perfect sense. After removing all the copper bus bar plates for cleaning, I took voltage readings for all 28 modules with my multimeter, and naturally I tested block 5 modules # 9 and 10 first to see what the problem was. Module 9 proved to be the bad boy, with a reading of 6.36 volts. Numbers 2 and 11 were the next lowest readings, at 7.52 and 7.55 respectively. All others were at, slightly under, or slightly over 7.60 volts. Overall, I felt that the battery modules were remarkably well balanced for a 16-year-old Prius with nearly a quarter million miles on it. If the voltage readings of the modules are summed together, that comes out to 211.63 volts. I'll attach an image showing the individual module results.
    Battery modules voltage tests.jpg

You had also stated, in a second reply, "Also, it is highly unlikely the battery is actually at a zero SOC. It's much more likely to be a false indication, either due torque settigns, the safety disconnect not having step 3 performed for the installation (pushing handle down to satisfy the interlock), or perhaps damage at the voltage sensing harness ecu socket."

I too feel it is unlikely that the SOC could have been at absolute zero, though with the last run of the engine - before the no start problem - I had started the engine and saw that the battery monitor showed that the battery was charging normally so I decided to take a short test drive on the road. After driving only about 1,000 feet, the battery monitor showed that the charge level was continuously dropping, so I turned around and drove back home. The car died about half way into my driveway, showing no bars on the battery monitor, and would not start again. The safety disconnect plug was definitely installed correctly before I used the Torque Pro app for diagnosis, and before running the app I had checked the connectors to the control unit. No damage or corrosion. Same for the fan connection. and the fan tested okay. I removed and cleaned the fan as well. I also checked all fuses related to the hybrid system (14, 22, 31, 33, 37, 49, and 50) and all were okay. Any further thoughts? With only one bad cell, and 167 good ones reading over 211 volts total, it seems that charging and discharging would have continued normally unless there is a fault in the charging circuitry. I will order three replacement modules having at least 7.6 volts each, as that will bring the battery modules back into excellent balance again, but will have to give some thought as to what is causing the no charge / no start problem. I had wondered if any of the 3 relays are malfunctioning, but if that's not where the trouble lies - as Mr Chapman suggests is probably the case - then I suppose looking into the Inverter / Converter unit should be the next step once the replacement modules are in and the cleaned bus bar elements are reinstalled and torqued properly. If something else would be a more logical approach then please feel free to offer that advice. Thank you.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't confuse "equal" voltage readings as being a 'balanced' battery. "Balanced" is referring more to individual module capacity.

Think of it like D, C, AA, AAA household batteries. They're all 1.5 volts, but drastically different capacities.
    Your HV battery started life as 28 D cells batteries, all with full capacity and very equal. Over the course of years and cycles, this changes quite a bit. Your current HV battery is now a mixture of capacities. Could be similar to 7 D, 7 C, 7 AA and 6 AAA batteries and 1 hearing aid battery (the failed one). You'll need to be careful not to install a single "super good" module, because it could easily cause one of the AAA modules to now look like an excessively weak module when under load.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to lose track of your initial symptoms. Which of these are initial symptoms and which occurred after you started working on the battery?

Suddenly, one day, the red triangle warning showed up and my OBD2 code reader said the Hybrid Battery was bad.

The code reader showed P0A80

though with the last run of the engine - before the no start problem - I had started the engine and saw that the battery monitor showed that the battery was charging normally so I decided to take a short test drive on the road. After driving only about 1,000 feet, the battery monitor showed that the charge level was continuously dropping, so I turned around and drove back home. The car died about half way into my driveway, showing no bars on the battery monitor, and would not start again. The safety disconnect plug was definitely installed correctly before I used the Torque Pro app for diagnosis, and before running the app I had checked the connectors to the control unit. No damage or corrosion.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Following on from TMR-JWAP's discussion on capacity, a useful way to gauge the relative capacity of your particular modules is to do a load test.

To do this charge all your modules that are not 7.62 V up to 7.62 V then let them sit for 24 hours and recheck that they are all the same voltage. If they are not, charge some more. If they are then on to the next step. Then using a 65 W headlight bulb wired to both filaments attach your voltmeter to each module one at a time, record standing voltage, attach the bulb and time for 2 minutes. When the time reaches the 2-minute mark, note the voltage on your volt meter and record it as the end voltage. Disconnect the bulb and voltmeter and repeat until you've tested all modules (except #9 unless you want to for fun). Do this same test on any new modules you purchase.

Create a new column in your spreadsheet that is the difference between start time and end time.

What you are looking for when you look at the data collected is to compare the difference between start time and end time. What you want to see is these numbers all being close together. The further apart any one module is from the others indicates less capacity.

I would not make a judgment on modules 2 and 11 until you had done the load test, and I personally would not change them, just charge and discharge the a couple of times then load test them again.

This is a bit of a shortcut that I think you can get away with rather than doing the full-blown charge/discharge reconditioning process on all 28 modules.

It is premature to be looking at anything else until you have got your battery work completed. I'm fairly confident that "the no charge / no start problem" is entirely attributable to module #9's dead cell. One dead cell takes the whole battery out.

#9 dolj, May 15, 2023
    Last edited: May 15, 2023
  10. RickO

RickO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @TMR-JWAP: You said, "Unfortunately, I'm starting to lose track of your initial symptoms. Which of these are initial symptoms and which occurred after you started working on the battery?

Suddenly, one day, the red triangle warning showed up and my OBD2 code reader said the Hybrid Battery was bad.

The code reader showed P0A80

though with the last run of the engine - before the no start problem - I had started the engine and saw that the battery monitor showed that the battery was charging normally so I decided to take a short test drive on the road. After driving only about 1,000 feet, the battery monitor showed that the charge level was continuously dropping, so I turned around and drove back home. The car died about half way into my driveway, showing no bars on the battery monitor, and would not start again. The safety disconnect plug was definitely installed correctly before I used the Torque Pro app for diagnosis, and before running the app I had checked the connectors to the control unit. No damage or corrosion."

The RTOD was the first thing noticed, and I was headed home at the time (about a 30 mile trip from where I was when the RTOD showed). I switched to the energy monitor screen and could see that the hybrid battery was not charging normally. It appeared to be getting worse as I drove further, in that the blue bars became green bars, and there were less bars. When I came to a slight hill right after a stoplight, The Prius was barely moving and I wondered if I would make it home, but once the road leveled off things became a bit better and I was able to limp home. As soon as I pulled into the driveway, I hooked up my OBD2 code reader, and it showed the P0A80 code.

At that point, I decided to rent a vehicle for one week while we searched for another car. I didn't have time to mess with the Prius because my wife needed a car for driving 40 miles to work and back, and we were due to move out of the home we were renting in just 2 weeks, moving back to our rebuilt home which had been burned to the ground 10 months earlier. I needed to take the Prius to the garage of our rebuilt home (the garage had not burned, thank goodness), and since my daughter was coming for a visit I had her follow me while I drove the Prius. That was the day after the RTOD incident. Strangely enough, the Prius ran just fine that day, and showed that it was charging normally, until I was about 3 miles from my 30 mile destination, and then the bars started going green again and diminishing. I made it to my garage and parked the car inside, where it remained by its lonesome until about 3 weeks later, before I had any time to spend on it.

In thinking about why the Prius might have gone haywire just 3 miles before my destination, I wondered if it was because I was passing over a rough road at that time. It seemed logical that the rough ride over that stretch of road could have caused an electrical connector fault if the connector was loose or corroded. In searching the Internet, I found that the hybrid battery fan connector, as well as the battery ECU connector, were prone to corrosion problems due to dampness from a leaking hatchback seal. So, when I could find the time, I checked out the fan and fan connector, and all was well there. The ECU connector was also good, and so were all hybrid related fuses, so that shot down my hopes of a simple and easy fix. That's when I decided to get the bluetooth OBD2 reader and the Torque Pro app. And just after taking the voltage readings on the 14 blocks, I attempted to start the Prius and found it appearing to be charging properly again. That's when I gave it the short road test, and headed back home very quickly when I saw the charge level dropping off rapidly. That was just a few days ago, and the Prius hadn't started again after that, so that's when I decided to remove the battery cover and inspect the bus bars. Naturally, the copper contact bars looked mostly black after all those miles, with a bit of green or blue here and there, so it made sense to remove and clean all of them, which I have done. My last effort was in obtaining the individual module voltages to determine which one, or ones, I would need to replace. While I only plan to replace #9, if 2 and 11 turn out to be okay, I have ordered two extras just in case they are needed now or in the not too distant future.

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You had no other codes than the P0A80? No "fail to start" or "low engine power" or similar codes? It really sounds like you may have had/are having an engine fail to start situation and the HV battery was being drained while trying to keep the car moving. If that's the case, then the inverter was doing it's job of converting battery DC power to AC power for the drivetrain. Your weak modules could very well be just from being depleted.

The few times I've seen similar situations, it's been throttle body related, mostly cleanliness of the throat/blade or the MAF sensor buried in there.

Are you doing all your DTC findings using Torque? or do you have techstream?

12. RickO

RickO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @TMR-JWAP: That's correct - no other codes. I used a wired scan tool for reading the trouble code, before I obtained the bluetooth unit and the Torque app, and I did not use Torque to read trouble codes - only for the battery block voltages. I had also downloaded the Dr Prius app to test charge/discharge and battery life expectancy, but of course didn't get to do that because of the no-start issue. I did have Techstream installed on a laptop computer using a USB interface, but lost the interface and the laptop computer in my house fire. Surprisingly, I was able to salvage the laptop's 1TB SSD which has Techstream on it because when the folding table the laptop was on collapsed, the laptop fell straight down to the floor, thus protecting the drive. I prefer using a laptop for diagnosis, so will see if I can get Techstream working on my new laptop.

13. RickO

RickO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I'm familiar with this method of load testing after watching just about every YouTube video there is concerning Prius hybrid battery testing and servicing. I'll definitely work up a spreadsheet showing my results for each module after doing 3 to 5 charge/discharge cycles. Being retired, and somewhat situated in the new home now, I can find the time to check all of the modules. I agree, of course, that doing anything further until getting the battery squared away would be premature and pointless. I also agree that module #9's dead (or nearly dead) cell was probably enough to cause the sometimes charging/sometimes not malady, and as it became worse could have taken out the entire battery. With the cells and modules all connected in series, it would be much like what used to happen with series connected Christmas tree light strings. If one light quit then all the lights went out. Finding the bad one then required starting at the first bulb and spending some time to look at each successive one for a broken filament.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  14. RickO

RickO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just waiting for ordered items to arrive, which could be either tomorrow or Saturday. I'll remove the hybrid battery from the car and disassemble it this afternoon so as to be ready for what comes next. Yesterday was too darned cold to do any work. It actually snowed at one point during the day, and the overnight temperature was 36 degrees. Today is much better, at 54 degrees currently.

15. RickO

RickO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was surprised to find a module in my mailbox today. This one measures 8 volts and appears to be in good shape. Clean housing and no swelling. What say you? As all my good modules are at over 7.5 volts already, should I try to bring all of them up to 8 volts as a first step, or would it be better to connect all modules (except for #9, of course) in parallel for a couple of days to let them all even out first?

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Voltage means very little. Load test to ascertain capacity (relative to your other modules). Capacity is what matters.
    No, voltage is not what you should be paying attention to. Capacity is where it's at.
    No, don't bother this is just a total waste of time. Capacity is the most important metric with which to match modules. At the end of your process, use your charger to charge or discharge so that after sitting for 24 hours your modules have the same voltage. If you've done a good job matching capacity, this should not be problematic.

17. DrummerDave

DrummerDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hi Rico. Did you ever notice that the cables in the picture are mislabeled ie swapped?

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you talking about the yellow labels indicating positive and negative contactor in post #1?

That looks like it was probably a screenshot from one of Prof. Kelly's videos for Weber U.

Not out of the question they could have been mislabeled, but it's probably not anything RickO had to do with.

Toyota's been weirdly inconsistent across the generations with the arrangement of the battery, how the blocks are numbered, and which main relays are on the + or − side. (In gen 3, for example, if the wiring diagram's to be believed, the precharge relay is on the − side. Naturally, the electrons don't care what side it's on, but why would Toyota change stuff like that? Also, if the gen 3 diagram's to be believed, they call the relay on the − side SMRB and the one on the + side SMRG. If I ever go in there, I think I will not choose to believe it until I see if my meter agrees.)

So if Prof. Kelly happened to put pos and neg labels in the wrong place for one generation in a video, I don't think I'd hold it against him.