1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Base model. Hybrid is dead. What now? Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jerrygol, May 13, 2022.

1. Jerrygol

Jerrygol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota says the Big H battery is dead. They want $5600 to replace it. It's a 2008 Base model and has other issues ie no AC. nearly 160,000 miles / 252 000 km . I'm in Ottawa Canada. Is it worth looking for a used or reconditioned Hybrid battery?

bisco likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, the battery prices sure have gone up (was quoted around $3,000 5 years ago for a 2005 Prius).

If the rest of the car is in good shape (the suspension, engine, interior), you could replace it and get another 5-10 years out of it. Those that have replaced the battery saw their fuel economy go back to nearly what it was when the car was new.

You could also go the used or reconditioned battery but I'm not sure where to get one in Canada.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rebuilt are sketchy. if you can find a mech, look into 'newpriusbatteries.com'

and shop dealers, hybrid batteries are not a fixed price

4. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes. $1,900 USD was what I was quoted for new from a Toyota dealer in Olathe Kansas. About a month ago.

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When they say battery is dead, what are the symptoms? You can get rebuilt battery shipped to you from Greentec for US$1250 to US$2250 and get hybrid shop to install it, unless you want to drive to Detroit or Boston for a weekend trip. Not really a good option