1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 brake actuator assembly problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Cathy Cravens, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Cathy Cravens

Cathy Cravens Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I have read many of the brake actuator posts, but I haven't seen one like mine.
    I am on my THIRD actuator assembly installation attempt. I have tried 44510-57050 twice (used but guaranteed ok parts) and now 44500-47141 (new from Toyota). My mechanic says that none of them work. I think he is in over his head, and I should've sucked it up and gone to Toyota. (Even better would have been when Toyota would have actually covered it.)
    So the third one is still installed, but the main computer isn't communicating with it. What do I do? I already owe the mechanic $430.00 for accomplishing nothing when I TOLD him that my two other mechanics passed on the job because they didn't have the tools. He insisted that he could do it.
    I can generally follow directions, if there are any to be had.
    Suggestions?
    Thank you very much for your time and expertise.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi ,

Your story starts in the middle, and has claims in it that we don't have enough information to follow.

Why did the FIRST actuator installation attempt happen? What was the car doing, and what led to the decision that replacing the actuator was the thing to do?

When you say "the main computer isn't communicating with" the third one now, what does that mean? What is the car doing, and who thinks that means the "main computer isn't communicating with it", and what are the reasons for thinking that?

-Chap

3. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your mechanic will need Toyota's software to bleed properly the system. If he doesn't, that may be the source of his problems.

4. Cathy Cravens

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you.

5. Cathy Cravens

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry. I was trying to not muddy the waters. I have purchased 3 actuators, as stated in my post. The mechanic, after getting an update an hour or so ago, has installed BOTH of the used ones and claims that they are the "wrong" ones. I have given him the brand new one purchased from Toyota, and he is claiming that this one is incorrect as well before even installing it.
    The first actuator attempt happened when I experienced brake failure on the freeway. Prior to that it was presenting many of the symptoms that others have described on PriusChat that led to them having the actuator replaced, noises, dash lights illuminated, etc... The car has been with the mechanic for a month and it is HIS say so that the other two actuators do not work.

I suspect that he does not know what he is talking about at this point. I plan to call multiple Toyota parts departments tomorrow to verify that replacement actuator #2, which I believe is installed but not working, is indeed the proper part. If so, I am going to cut my losses with this mechanic and take it to a dealership where a service advisor assured me today that they could install/program for a little over 500 bucks. This is hard to swallow after giving the mechanic over 400 for accomplishing nothing, but I need my car. A month is ridiculous.

When I say the "computer isn't communicating" I mean that the part is installed but not functioning with the car. I suspect that he doesn't have the Toyota software necessary to complete the job. I can't explain it any better than that because there is a huge language barrier between me and the mechanic.

I realize it is hard to help someone who can't articulate the basic facts, but this is truly what I know. I have to go through a third person to communicate with this guy. He has solved some pretty wonky problems previously but this one makes me doubt his skill set with working with Toyota computer systems.

Any advice?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wish at some point in all of that the diagnostic trouble codes had been read. It makes no sense to jump right in to replacing expensive parts because somebody else who had noises and dash lights did. The same dash lights come on for hundreds of reasons.

What was the "brake failure on the freeway" like?

-Chap

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If this 10 year old car has been sitting at the mechanics for a month, in the Las Vegas heat, you might be in for a nasty surprise when you get the car running again.

The thing with old prius cars, their batteries go bad, especially after sitting around not being driven.

I'm hoping that won't happen in this case

8. Cathy Cravens

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scary.

Pressed brake pedal, did not stop. Was able to shift to neutral and coast to stop in emergency lane. If I never have that experience again it will be soon enough.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is very strange, if the electronic brakes fail, your regular brake function should still be there. Just like any other car.

Did you get a bunch of warning lights at the same time?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What was the pedal feel as you pressed it? Did the car slow at all? Any noises (mechanical ones or beepy ones)?

I understand you might have been preoccupied at the time....

-Chap

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A car with braking problems, leading to you not being able to stop, should be investigated really thoroughly. Maybe even involve the car dealer to address the safety concern.

I would think going to a mechanic that doesn't even speak your language or understand your concern would not the the best way to approach this safety problem. $400 dollars for the work performed isn't the end of the world, maybe you should just bring it to a more qualified repair shop and start all over.

12. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    pay what you owe get the car back and sell it for parts.. the repairs exceed the value of the car
    i have an 08 and my actuator went at the end of 2017 just before the extended warranty (or what ever they called it) ended.. dealer cost to replace was $3280, fast forward 3 months hv battery failed, had it rebuilt but im not expecting it to last long in the florida heat..
    btw i asked the dealer what they would buy my loaded 08 for with 160000 miles after the brake repair and it was $2800 ..