1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 headlight or ballast

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dalen, Aug 2, 2014.

1. dalen

dalen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My 08 passenger side HID is intermittingly on and off and at times grows dim but stays on. Reseaching, I think it s either the HID bulb or the ballast. How do I tell which one? I have already had the driver side HID replaced last year-$$$$-so I am thinking of doing the work myself. The bulb is within my abilities but if it s the ballast I m a little hesitant. Thanks everyone.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The bulb is most likely at fault so you should start by replacing it.

3. James2005

James2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not to hijack your thread, but I had a similar issue. Noticed one of my headlights (passenger side) would not come on at start-up and had to toggle headlight switch to get both headlights to work. I replaced both bulbs with these from Amazon
    and things seemed perfect for the first week. Now I have issues with both light, only 1 will work at start-up (some times it's the passenger side some times it is the driver's side). And I usually have to toggle the headlight switch multiple times to get both lights to work. Very annoying.

Don't know if I should purchase 2 more bulbs and hope that the first 2 were somehow bad or attempt to replace the ballasts.

James