1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 HV Battery fixed the cheapest way possible? Let me know.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by UTadventures, Oct 10, 2022.

1. UTadventures

UTadventures New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    In August I bought an '08 Level 5 with 167k miles for $4k. Known Red Triangle of Death. (But unknown actual issue). Did not know about PriusChat or Dr. Prius. Just a couple Youtube videos that made fixing it look possible. Long story short, 4 modules seems low, bought and replaced for $70, shipped. Used the metal strips from an old wiper blade to balance (worked perfectly). In the process of researching, I found PriusChat and Dr. Prius (was hoping for a free battery check, but oh well). Since then, I've put nearly 1,000 miles including one over 400 miles and two mountain ranges. 1st leg (145 miles) was 52.2 mpg. 4 passengers and a Sam's Club run brought down the average to about 46 overall. I very steep climb up 3k' brought the battery down to 27.5%, but the downhill was 35 miles of Maxed-Out meter. Only concerns seem to be the higher resistance of the modules, according to Dr. Prius. 22-30mOhms, but varies each drive. And everything turning red when I coast/ brake 1/2 mile downhill to my turn off the highway. $3500 less than retail for a $70 fix? WIN or no? PriusMPG1.JPG Dr.PriusRegen.PNG

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's always the cheapest way. longevity may be iffy, but sometimes you get lucky. the better job you do balancing, the longer it should go before another failure.

UTadventures likes this.