1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius 148000 Miles Issue with Startup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Chisox1976, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Chisox1976

Chisox1976 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay so let my start by saying what happened. I was doing uber and everything was alright with my car. The Oil change light was on but I know I don't need an oil change. So I went and got gas at the gas station and when I went back in my car to start it, I heard my phone vibrate but then everything went completely Dead. Everything. I thought it was battery and was just sitting in my car when the car just started up. I really didn't do anything. The next morning, it didn't start right away but I got it too and it ran fine for a few more hours. I also didn't notice anything wrong. I drove to my job on Monday and no problem. Then went in the car today and nothing. The check light (the bad one I think) came on.

Okay, a couple other things the key fob only worked when you put in the slot and couldn't lock it through the fob. Also, I checked the cap on the gas, heard that might be something but it clicked and couldn't come off. I haven't jumped it in a year or two. I think I have given all the information. Could this be just a blown fuse or issue with the 12 V. Again it was running perfectly fine. Thanks for any help and if you need any other information please ask. Also does this sound like a problem with the power invertor. I think thats what it is called.

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12v is always the easiest and one of the least expensive things to check. Start there.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get a voltmeter and test it at the jump terminals after it has been off for at least 4 hours.

btw, there is no 'oil change light'. not sure what you saw

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Come on bisco, you know what light he is talking about. “MAINT REQD”. “Engine oil reminder light (for vehicles sold in USA)”
    It’s in the owners manual. Page 6 in the 2006 one. :cool:

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the 12V checks OK under the hood at the test points, I would next check the battery itself for loose connections at the terminals and check the ground wire where it connects to the body of the car near the right tail light.

6. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    theres a button under the steering column to turn on the keyless system... (if you mean this fob issue just started) you may of hit it with your knee..