1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius brake bleed gone wrong?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nostalgic_daydreamer, Mar 21, 2020.

1. nostalgic_daydreamer

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I recently replaced the brake actuator a bled the brakes. I put the car into diagnostic mode like this for the back brakes
    • Get a paper clip and cut it to make a perfect U. This is your speciality tool. Goto the OBD port, looking up at the port. The top row; from the left count 4 slots in, on the bottom row; from the right, count 4 slots in. Jumper these two slots. With the brake pedal depressed, push the POWER button to get the READY light. Within 5 seconds, depress the BRAKE pedal 8 or more times. Turn the POWER off and remove the paper clip. With your foot barely on the BRAKE pedal, just enough to POWER the vehicle onto READY, verify the lights are off. If not repeat the jumper procedure and get those lights off.
    Once you have verified that all the warning lights are off, DO NOT START, DO NOT POWER ON THE CAR AT ALL UNTIL YOU HAVE BLED ALL THE LINES. The electric pump for the brakes is now OPERATIONAL. The electric pump for the brakes works with nothing on. You will need two people at this point and you can bleed them like an old fashioned cart

Then I pumped the brakes and bled the back. I then removed to 2 relays and put the car into diagnostic mode again using this method -

Step 4: Put the Prius in diagnostic mode

To put the Prius in diagnostic mode, find the OBD2 port under the dash below your right knee. When looking up at it, you will find a connector with 2 rows of 8 pins each. Connect a jumper between pin 4 (CG pin) and pin 13 (TC pin) on the OBD2 connector. Starting at the top row reading from left to right, pin 4 would be the pin 4 pins away from the left on top row. On bottom row pin 13 would be 4 pins from the right on bottom row. I used a 1K ohm resistor as insurance in case I accidentally shorted the wrong pins.
    [​IMG]
    Next press the power button twice without pressing the brakes. The car will take a few seconds to boot up and you shell see a diagnostic menu on the display.

After this we put back the relays and tried starting the car but it doesn't recognize my key, the fuel gauge is flashing, the shift thing is flashing, and my lights are all on. The car will not start either. hellllllppppppp

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    check your 12v battery, may be dead

SFO likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gen 2 Repair Manual does not include an instruction for bleeding the brakes without Techstream. 3rd gen does, requires the car to be in "Invalid" mode, not maintenance mode. Anyway, attached is the second gen instruction, with Techstream.

That said, where you are now, maybe just tow to dealership? (n)

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  4. nostalgic_daydreamer

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay soooo fixed this problem but when my husband replaced the coolant valve he didnt do the coolant so currently working on that

Mendel Leisk likes this.