1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius Dead. 12 v battery and spare tire under Ice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cheeper, Feb 21, 2015.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As noted, you need a new 12V battery. Me, I went with the Toyota because I am not a car tech and I knew it would fit without having to worry about any "adjustments." And, while it was $$$, the knowledge it would fit was worth it.

Now, if you need it delivered to your home that is another thing...

Anyway, putting it in is pretty simple really, but considering your local dealer is only charging $40 to install (still too high, but hey), I would be sorely tempted, considering your weather.

Your choice, but you know the Toyota will fit. And you DO NEED a new battery.

2. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Guessing it is 12v from what book says. See nothing on battery to indicate???

3. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The dealer is 35 miles away. Battery is charged But I unplugged it this AM, put charger back on, it said "charging" but went to recharge soon.

Suppose to get below zero tonite, temp going down all day, don't want to put it in today. 14 now, no garage. Burr. Thanks. Thinking perhaps I should try dealer.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, no. there is no 12v low indicator warning. there is a diagnostic screen you can check if you want to go to the trouble.

5. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I saw someone's post about this, but battery had already died. I have the most basic model '08 Prius, wonder if I have it.
    This has been a Learning experience. A warning indicator would have been appreciated. The red triangle would come on for a second, but disappeared. Thought it might b the battery; read how others have had bigger "warnings", hoped I would have more time. The water in tire and battery compartment probably did it. I Hope it is Just the 12v battery.

Battery shows it is charged up; brutally cold and windy today, may b worse tomorrow.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I vote for home delivery & DIY. Ensure the new battery is charged up before installation. You should have the job done in the time it'll take you to get to the dealer and you'll still sit there for at least half an hour waiting for the car.

Dealers also sell crap batteries which is why I have an Optima. I bought from elearnaid who delivered a fully charged charged battery at a good price. Shop around as there are a number of options & prices change all the time.

cheeper likes this.
  7. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A previous poster said to stay away from Optima.
    I Hate waiting around, driving 35 mi to get there. Love saving $$$. Was "headed" in dealer direction. Going to look again elsewhere. Thanks!

Ordered one form Napa, suppose to b there tomorrow. 10 miles. Hope I make it.

#27 cheeper, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would be nice if you could pre-order one from the dealership, have them hook it up to a proper smart charger, be topped up by the time you get there, so you could swap it in the parking lot (or have their guys do, if you wish), and deal with the core charge on the spot.

9. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If your freshly charged battery allows the car to power up into Ready mode, it should then take you wherever you want it to. Once you turn it off it might need a jump again if it's a really bad battery.

cheeper likes this.
  10. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks!!!

11. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We all have our opinions and experiences. I did not like getting delayed in the office parking lot and liked getting stranded at Liberty Toyota less all because they installed a crap battery.

On the plus side, several options are available at different price points so we aren't tied to one supplier. If you are a AAA member there might be a discount on that NAPA battery.

They also had the best price around for inverter coolant.

12. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How will I Know I'm getting the Right battery for my car??? I told guy on phone was for an 08 Prius. No AAA; discounts for me I guess.

13. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    its a very small battery as you've seen. also the terminals are smaller than normal. if they bring out a battery the same size as yours with the same small terminals, it'll work. and as long as the parts guy isn't an idiot, he'll get the right one.

cheeper likes this.
  14. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would make sure that battery posts are the same way around. At least here they sell battery’s that are exactly the same as Prius, even with small posts, but posts are other way around.

cheeper and Britprius like this.
  16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the UK I have also seen many batteries being advertised as gen2/3 Prius batteries, but with reverse post layouts. This is particularly evident on Ebay.
    Wheel bearings also are advertised as gen2 front and rear with press in bearing races at circa £20, but the outer bearing races on the gen2 are part of the hub casting, and cannot be removed.

John (Britprius)

cheeper likes this.
  17. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    From MidAtlantic AAA:

Attached Files:

18. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Battery is Too Long, does not sit down far enough, battery secure connectors will not b able to keep battery tied down. Neighbor picked up battery for me, store 10 miles away. Is there any way to secure this battery? It is fully charged.

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It sound like the car you have is the non SKS version that has a shorter battery. From memory the batery tray it sits in is held in place by two bolts. The tray can be removed, and in the short term the vertical leg cut off flush at the bottom. the battery will then fit. Or leave the tray out and pack round the battery with polystyrene to stop movement.
    The long term solution is to buy the battery tray for the larger battery, and fit. It is only a few $ from Toyota.
    The larger battery is a much better option.

John (Britprius)

cheeper likes this.
  20. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks! Hope I can get it back out. :O Can't budge it, perhaps later I can. If I can't, is there a way to Secure it to not bounce on road?