1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

08 Prius Engine Knocking noise, then stall

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MikeB6, Oct 12, 2018.

1. MikeB6

MikeB6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello,

My daughter's 08 Prius started making a knocking noise. I cleaned the fuel injectors, replaced all spark plugs changed oil, and checked the Ignition coils after the code reader pointed out a misfire on piston 2. I cleared all the errors but the car starts fine with no noise for about 10-15 sec, then start knocking louder and louder for another 15 sec before it stalls. No errors are displayed yet but I have captured some data in the hope someone can help me analyze. Hybrid battery has some bad module which is a known problem, please ignore those errors or values. Please take a look at the video and let me know if anything stands out. Thanks.

Here is the captured and saved data video playback:
    Amazon Photos

2. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    did you change the egr valve?
    look into the manifold see if there's oil pooling..
    Oil Pooling in Intake Manifold | PriusChat
    how much oil is it burning between changes?
    could be a lot of things even low oil pressure or clogged oil passages

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That probably just means that MG1 is spinning the engine during that period of time. That doesn't mean that the engine is actually running. To prove whether that is the case, try depressing the accelerator pedal during this 10 second period and see if the engine actually speeds up or not.

4. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Coil / spark plugs / if you replaced fuel injectors then it's the seating of injector the Rubber seal at the bottom there's a gap letting air in or out I had to add spacer thickness of a garden hose washer to get a tight seal. On one Prius (eBay injectors) and the car will sound very bad like there a major problem. measure the injectors with your voltmeter make sure they're all the same value. Pull the coils look at the side of the shaft for melted spots. Pull the spark plugs they should all look the same color.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you certain the fuel pump is working?
    What is fuel pressure?

What is voltage and state of charge of the hybrid battery?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. MikeB6

MikeB6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'll try to reply to all questions and comments here in this post.
    The engine is definitely running since I'm able to rev-up engine when the accelerator is depressed.
    The manifold always have some oil pooling at the bottom of the intake manifold, but none since this incident. There is plenty of engine oil but my daughter said that the engine seem to burn a bit more oil between the last few oil changes.
    The Hybride batteries have at least 3 known bad modules which we plan to replace if (and only if) this engine issue is resolved. I doubt it has anything to do with the knocking noise or the stalling.
    I didn't measure the fuel pressure but when I disconnected the hose, there was enough pressure in the hoses. I also tested the fuel flow by connecting gas container to fuel line while running the fuel pump.
    At this time, I plan on doing the following
    - Remove and clean the intake manifold.
    - Replace the PCV valve.
    - check and clean\replace EGR valve.
    I would appreciate any other suggestions.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

8. MikeB6

MikeB6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    .. it has 186k miles.

bisco likes this.
  9. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the two may not be related, the knocking can be low oil pressure and the shutting down can be anything from a bad sensor to a catalytic convertor being plugged up. with that many miles you have to ask yourself how much money do you want to throw at it chasing gremlins.. a 10 yr old car with almost 200k miles really dosent have much value and you said it needs a HV battery so..... might be time to get something else.

10. MikeB6

MikeB6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    that's an option... the last one to consider. thanks