1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'08 Prius, First Car, 220k

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by oldtechaa, Jan 1, 2019.

1. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I've been lurking here for a while, and pretty much every question I've had has been answered without having to post anything, but I decided it's time to introduce myself.

I just bought an '08 Seaside Mica Package #2 Prius with 216k back in September. Pretty good condition, great exterior except for a couple minor scratches, has been in one rear collision but no evidence of it left anywhere, dealer-maintained until about 30k ago. Originally from Iowa. It was $3800 from Digital Auto in Lexington, KY, which specializes in used hybrids, especially Prii. They're a pretty good dealer, and they sell at wholesale prices to deal in volume rather than top dollar.

They replaced the windshield when they sold it because it had a large square crack, and then they recharged the A/C and threw in some tools because it didn't have any.

I did an oil change at about 218.5k with a NAPA ProSelect filter and NAPA Premium Performance "Synthetic Blend" 5W-30. I had some difficulty getting the old filter off, finally having to use locking pliers to pinch and twist, crushing the filter a bit, but not piercing the case. The old filter was a YZZF1 filter, the longer type. I didn't check the oil level again after my test drive, so it may have gone down some just in the test drive, but now it's slightly below half-way in between the high and low marks on the dipstick. It hasn't moved much in another 1k though, so it doesn't seem to burn much oil. I'm doing 5k, although I considered Mobil 1 EP with a Fram Ultra yearly, but it comes out to about the same cost.

The tires were Michelin Defender T+H and they were getting pretty low on tread, so I replaced them with Milestar MS932 Sports for $42 apiece online, and that may have dropped my mileage by about 2-2.5 mpg. Now looking at the tread-life on Defenders I probably could have gone through the winter on them, but they might not have been quite safe enough. Next time, I would consider Yokohama AVID Ascends for their tread-life and potentially better mileage. Anybody know the MPG difference between the Yokohamas and the Michelins?

The car only came with one key, so I added a second with the chicken dance, which worked just fine. I got my new SKS key for $115 on Cyber Monday sale at Green's Toyota of Lexington.

The other day, my combination meter failed to start, so I might get one from Matt at Texas Hybrid Batteries if and when it gets worse.

Both batteries look alright for now, although if the big battery has any trouble, I'd consider buying a module and re-balancing at Digital Auto until I have enough for a new pack, probably either from Toyota, @2k1Toaster, or Green Bean. Even though Green Bean is refurbished, for $1549 you get installation and a 5-year warranty, which is nice. I'm totally willing to install the battery myself though.

A couple issues I have are a rattle in the engine under heavy load and a squeaking front end like plenty of other PC members have reported, probably from bushings. Not sure whether the engine rattle is knocking/pinging or valve rattle.

I got a new NAPA Gold cabin air filter and will replace it sometime in the next 7k.

I'm getting about 46.5 mpg after a MFD reset with the new tires, and was getting about 49 and dropping on the old tires over about 1500k miles. It probably would have ended up about 48.5 or 48 over the winter. I'm considering grill blocking.

The ATF was changed at about 120-130k, but in about 10k, I'll check on it and likely change it. I'll do inspections at 30k intervals and likely change it every 60k or 90k. I may use Valvoline MaxLife.

If anybody has any suggestions or questions, please let me know. 20180918_094252.jpg 20180918_094312.jpg 20180918_094320.jpg 20180918_094300-2.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and well done.

she's gorgeous, all the best!(y)

James1964 likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You bought a car at the end of its life cycle at 220k miles. So you'll have to do a lot of maintenance to keep this car running in good condition.

1. I would be concerned about the AC needing a recharge. Hopefully nothing is wrong.

2. Your car is burning oil and you should top it off so the dipstick reading is full. Then monitor every 500 miles to see how far it's dropped.

3. Pull the service records and do anything that's required that you don't see records for.

4. Pay attention to when the recall for the inverter pump was done, if it's close to 100k miles ago, you should change it before it fails

5. When you need a new HV battery and you'll have $1500+ to spend, do yourself a favor and not buy a refurbished (used) battery, no matter how long the warranty is. That money can buy a new one

That's all, enjoy your car and Happy New Year

4. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips.

Regarding A/C, it could be operator error and/or unfamiliarity with the temperature of air in an efficient car like this. I don't remember if I even configured the target temperature when I was test driving. We asked for them to make sure it was fully charged with refrigerant, but they didn't report back on their results.

The oil level I was wondering about. I've seen that it's pretty usual to burn a fair bit of oil at this advanced age so I check it regularly. It just doesn't seem to continue dropping anymore. It acts like I may have had it full when I changed the oil, but until I started the ICE it hadn't worked its way through the entire engine. Is that possible? Otherwise, it seems like it dropped rapidly right after the oil change and then stopped consuming any oil whatsoever.

I have both the CarFax and am registered on Toyota Owners, so I have as much service history as I can get. I will likely do a 30/50/60k service in about 7k.

The inverter water pump was replaced at 130k, so I'll consider replacing it soon.

I would be likely to get a new battery. Hopefully nothing will happen until there's a little more information regarding how long Green Bean batteries actually last. Looking at some other threads on here, Green Bean was started by a mathematician who developed a battery reconditioning algorithm? It must be pretty good to offer a 5-year warranty, but we actually have experience with how long OEM batteries last. Green's Toyota offers a new battery for $1773 plus $1350 core right now, so from what I've seen on PC, that's an excellent price anyway.

Thanks for the comments.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks great for a car with that much experience. I agree with all that @JC91006 said. And I would add that you also make sure the recall was done on the steering. There are splines that were not cut deeply enough and can wear out leaving you with no steering if the shaft isn't replaced. That was for the 2007 for sure. I would guess that the '08 would fall in there, too. You can look for recalls if you enter your VIN at Toyota's owners' website.

6. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    All recalls have been handled, including the steering at 130k, same time as the inverter water pump.

Also, unrelated to your post, I wanted to add that I expect to drive her about 12k/year.

bisco likes this.
  7. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Another issue I've had is an intermittent whirring on startup on very cold mornings that then disappears after <10 seconds. The timing suggests it could be the coolant bottle pump, but it's not a squeal like the old problem with that pump from pre-2008. Any thoughts?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A new battery for $1773 is definitely the way to go.

The reason I'd be concerned with the AC recharge is the Prius uses a special non conductive oil for the AC system. If somebody charges it because it leaks (not your selling dealer) and adds the wrong oil, you'll have an expensive issue to fix.

The problems you'll likely face from a gen2 are:

1. 3 way coolant valve
    2. Inverter pump failure
    3. Leaking water pump
    4. Brake accumulator/actuator failure
    5. Combination meter failure
    6. HV battery failure.

Those are the common issues that you'll face, they will happen, just a matter of time. Everything else holds up pretty well and requires very little attention beyond the normal wear and tear.

SFO likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's the pump for the thermos tank, it'll sounds like a tea kettle (when it gets old) for 10 seconds when you turn on and turn off the car. I don't think this requires replacement as it's on for only 10 seconds.

10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would add front wheel bearings to jc's list. They just start making noise and get louder and louder.

11. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    The coolant valve doesn't show as being replaced, but I know that's cheap and easy to fix. Both coolant pumps were replaced at 130k, combo meter is obviously starting to fail. The brake actuator doesn't show up being replaced/repaired but sounds great, and the HV battery is looking OK for right now. The bearings still sound whisper-quiet but I'm not sure if they've ever been replaced.

I'm not going all-out on preventative maintenance unless something is likely to cause a far larger cost if it fails. For example, I bought a new key because the cost would be greater if I lost my only key.

Thanks for the tips and comments, especially from such experienced PC members that I see chiming in on most threads, at least on Gen2 forums.

Robbski likes this.
  12. James1964

James1964 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have the 05, same everything pretty much. It had a new Dorman reman hybrid battery in it. Our mpg is about the same, Yours being a bit better. It's fairly hilly in the PNW which affects that part. One huge upgrade we did is the Clazzio Synthetic Leather seat cover front and back. It's a wrestling match installing them but they tremendously upgrade what was a fairly tired interior. I went all Amsoil Signature, tranny too and that has quieted the ICE down a fair bit. That could be imaginary though. I also refreshed the inverter coolant fluid. Gotta go OEM or Zerex Asian for that. Looking at shocks and struts next. My son wants to put a million on her!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't care for leather, so I'm happy with my cloth seats. The upholstery was in great condition with just one small stain that I've seen. The car had two owners previously.

Synthetic oil is not a concern of mine, since I figure Toyota was willing to put conventional in, but it's $14 for NAPA "synthetic blend" or SuperTech conventional, and the NAPA oil supports a local company, being made by Ashland Oil/Valvoline (no longer the same company, but still both local).

When I change my coolant soon, possibly with one or both pumps changed, I'll probably use Zerex Asian. I topped off with just a bit of Peak Asian that a friend had.

I don't live very close to a dealer, so it's much easier and cheaper to get aftermarket when possible.

James1964 likes this.
  14. James1964

James1964 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm just pleased that someone else also bought a mature, 200K+ vehicle and for about the same purchase price as me.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    That's great to know too. I wasn't aware of that; hopefully the dealer is. I imagine they would be after dozens if not hundreds of Prii. Thank you.